2 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2012 12:04 PM by JonnyK

Can I use Intel Smart Response on a non-system drive in a machine with many drives?

JonnyK

I've got several drives in my system, one 128 GB SSD acts at the primary system drive with the OS (Windows 7) and all the core apps installed on it.  Then there's a 500 gig WD Black drive for games, and finally a large WD Green drive for data and "stuff".

I'm planning a new Z77 PC build and am looking at Gigabyte motherboards with the neat mSATA SSD connection.  The plan is to use an extra mSATA 64 GB SSD and Intel Smart Response caching to speed up my games hard drive.  Can this be done?  I'm reading about Smart Response tech and all the guides I see are based on having a single drive in your machine.  The Gigabyte Smart Response guide says "The operating system must be installed to the SATA disk".  Can anybody clarify?

Theoretically - could I back up all the content from the games drive to the large Green stuff drive, wipe the system SSD, enable SATA raid, re-install the OS on the system SSD as before, set up Smart Response with the games drive and the new mSATA drive, and then move the contents from the green drive back to the games drive?  Do I even need to re-install the OS in this case?

Thanks,

JonnyK

• 1. Re: Can I use Intel Smart Response on a non-system drive in a machine with many drives?
          phil_l

Hi

If you are using an SSD already as the main drive you will gain little by using Smart Response Technology.  Smart Response Technology is a poor-mans SSD, so if you can't afford or justify the expense of a good capacity SSD, it's the next cheaper option, but there is little point in having both in my opinion.

I'm not sure if the software/driver for Smart Response Technology would even attempt to cache a non-system hard-drve, and for games the hard-drive isn't usually a bottleneck anyway, and if your games drive is an SSD already, then very little point in having an SSD cache.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Phil

• 2. Re: Can I use Intel Smart Response on a non-system drive in a machine with many drives?
            JonnyK

The focus is to use the SSD soley for the games drive cache.  Every day I'm loading the same games and waiting as they churn to open.  Benchmarks I've seen online show significant speed ups when caching games, so I believe this is of great potential benefit.  But I can't buy enough space for a full game drive, so this SSD cache seems like a good solution.  64 gigs should be enough to store games I commonly play at any one time.

JonnyK