7 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 10:44 AM by captal

No HDMI at boot, post = 00, DZ77GA-70K and i7-3770K

novabrk0

I just put together a new PC using an Intel DZ77GA-70K desktop board and a i7-3770K CPU.  The desktop board's HDMI video port is attached to a HDMI port on a monitor (Samsung).  When I turn the PC on I get a post code = 00 - but, the monitor is black and says it is not receiving a signal.

I did not install a PCIe video card in the desktop board.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks...

• 1. Re: No HDMI at boot, post = 00, DZ77GA-70K and i7-3770K
          novabrk0

Update:

My Intel DZ77GA-70K desktop board will not boot when the HDMI port on that board is attached to the HDMI port of a Samsung Syncmaster P2770 monitor.

If I detach the HDMI cable from the DZ77GA-70K desktop board it will boot perfectly.  Then I can attach the HDMI cable to the DZ77GA-70K desktop board and the Samsung Syncmaster P2770 monitor displays the Windows 7 64-bit desktop perfectly.

I purchased a HDMI(female)/DVI(male) adapter ($7). I attached the adapter to the DVI port of my Samsung SyncMaster P2770 monitor. So now I have an HDMI cable attached to the HDMI port of my Intel DZ77GA-70K desktop board and the other end attached to the DVI port of the Samsung SyncMaster P2770 monitor.

I cold boot the DZ77GA-70K and it boots with no problems! But, the video is completely garbled and almost unreadable.

I replaced the Samsung SyncMaster P2770 monitor with a Emprex LE2262 monitor. The Intel DZ77GA-70K desktop board boots perfectly with an Emprex LE2262 monitor and the video display is also perfect.

Obviously the Samsung SyncMaster P2770 monitor is incompatible with the Intel DZ77GA-70K desktop board.

I tested the Samsung SyncMaster P2770 with a Compaq notebook PC.  I attached a cable to the VGA port on the Compaq PC and to the DVI port on the Samsung SyncMaster P2770 monitor.  The Compaq notebook PC booted perfectly and the display on the Samsung P2770 monitor was perfect.

I checked the list of monitors that Intel tested with desktop board DZ77GA-70K here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dz77ga-70k/sb/CS-033467.htm

I didn't see a HDMI port on any of the tested monitors. So apparently Intel did all (or most) of their testing using a HDMI\DVI adapter?

Here is an article where a lab tested the Intel DZ77GA-70K and had compatibility problems with monitors:

http://www.lostcircuits.com/mambo//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=105&Itemid=42&limit=1&limitstart=3

• 2. Re: No HDMI at boot, post = 00, DZ77GA-70K and i7-3770K
            captal

I'm having a similar problem.

Brand new Shuttle SZ77R5 with i7-3770k

I'm not getting any output from the HDMI. I have it hooked up to my TV and I don't have a computer monitor handy. I've tried unplugging everything (HD, DVD, graphics card) and still no luck. I've tried using the HDMI off the GeForce card as well with no luck.

I've tried booting 10 times or so, switching TV on and off, changing outputs- nothing.

• 3. Re: No HDMI at boot, post = 00, DZ77GA-70K and i7-3770K
              icho

I got the same problem with i5 3570K and DZ77GA-70K while using a HDMI <-- ---> DP cable.

My Samsung SA650 doesnt support HDMI.

I tried another monitor (DELL) using a HDMI <-- --> HDMI cable and it worked.

Changing different BIOS Settings didnt helped getting the Signal out of the HDMI <- -> DP cable.

Today I am going to try a BIOS update. Version 0021 is installed right now.

Maybe that will help, but im getting the feeling the problem is the cable ...

• 4. Re: No HDMI at boot, post = 00, DZ77GA-70K and i7-3770K
                phil_l

Hi

while using a HDMI <-- ---> DP cable.My Samsung SA650 doesnt support HDMI

Just to save everyone and yourself some hassle over this.  If you mean you are connecting to the HDMI port on the computer to the DisplayPort on the monitor, then this is never going to work.  We can't convert HDMI to DisplayPort (unless you have an active adapter), but only DisplayPort to HDMI.  Unlike DVI and HDMI which have the same video signals, DisplayPort is a completely different signally system and is 100% incompatible with HDMI/DVI.  When we connect a DisplayPort to HDMI cable/adapter to the motherboard/graphics card it detects this and turns of the DisplayPort signalling and instead passes out normal DVI signals so it works, although due to lesser number of wires in DisplayPort cables will only support a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 as it can only run in single link DVI mode.

HDMI doesn't know anything about DisplayPort so it will just blindly try and negotiate an HDMI/DVI connection and the monitor will fail to display anything as it is only expecting DisplayPort video into it's DisplayPort.

Regards

Phil

• 5. Re: No HDMI at boot, post = 00, DZ77GA-70K and i7-3770K
                  icho

Thanks a lot, didnt knew that!

• 6. Re: No HDMI at boot, post = 00, DZ77GA-70K and i7-3770K
                    novabrk0

Intels newest BIOS update (GAZ7711H.86A.0039.EB 4/26/2012) fixed the problem:

BIOS Update Release Notes

PRODUCTS: DZ77GA-70K, DZ77RE-75K (Standard BIOS)

BIOS Version 0039 - GAZ7711H.86A.0039.2012.0426.1522

About This Release:

• Date: April 26, 2012

• Integrated Graphics Option ROM: Build 2132

New Fixes/Features:

• Fixed issue with detected video device priority.

• 7. Re: No HDMI at boot, post = 00, DZ77GA-70K and i7-3770K
                      captal

Just in case anyone had the same problems I did, my issue was BIOS related. I called Shuttle and they said the BIOS I am using doesn't support Ivy Bridge, and they have an update on their website.I find this a bit laughable as they launched this system to coincide with the Ivy Bridge release.

At least they've provided an easy solution- they're going to ship me a new BIOS today. It's an 8-pin IC that should be pretty easy to replace. I'm just happy they have a replacable BIOS instead of one that is soldered on the board. Having to RMA this system (or buy a Sandy Bridge processor) wouldn't be fun.

Ah the pains of being an early adopter... hopefully I can return my DVI-to-HDMI adapter