3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 5:40 AM by Flying_Kiwi

X58 chipset Rebuilt RAID 10 not showing up as it should

dluis

Hello

My 3 year old got into BIOS setup and goofed everything up, ended up reinstalling windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, all Drivers updated, OS operating perfectly.

Prior via Intel Matrix Storage Utility I had 4 each WD 640 GB HD's set up for Raid 10, working perfectly forever since installation.

Upon Setup the utility showed to rebuild the array, perfect, but once rebuilt the Array Name has always been Raid Group 10, now in my computer it shows simply as "Local Disk D"

Click on Local Disk D, request is made to format, well I do not want to forma I do not want to loose the data.

I updated to Intel Rapid Storage Technology, the utility updates and rebuids my RAID Group10 Array, and shows it identified as such, RAID 10, but in my computer still is "Local Disk D"

Go to Disk Management, shows as One Disk as it should, but shows it as Local Disk D, where in the Intel Utility it clearly identifies the Array as "Raid Group 10"

When I go to Local Disk D Properties, where it shows "All disk drives" Tab, my Array is shown as "Raid Group 10" shows clear as day.

My "Raid Group 10" should appear in My Computer but it does not, it appears as Local Disk D, which is inaccesable but in the same properties tab shows itself as "Raid Group 10"

The solution must be simple and I do not want to risk loosing data please advise?

I have tried everything in BIOS set up......

• 1. Re: X58 chipset Rebuilt RAID 10 not showing up as it should
          Flying_Kiwi

dluis wrote:

Click on Local Disk D, request is made to format, well I do not want to forma I do not want to loose the data.

What makes you think this hasn't already happened? Can you access D: in Windows Safe mode (not sure if that would be allowed anyway but it's worth a try)? If so go in there, BACKUP YOUR DATA and then immediately start again from scratch with a format and restore. Otherwise you could try booting from another drive - perhaps a bootable USB Drive and see if that lets you get at D: (or whatever it shows up as).

Even with RAID 0+1 (I have this on my PC) its still essential to maintain regular backups of valuable data because although an individual drive failure will not be a disaster, multiple simultaneous drive failures, a virus infection or more commonly, motherboard failure or mis-configuration, can and often does, spell disaster. Companies and organisations with RAID setups incorporating redundancy regularly perform backups for this reason. Good luck with your attempts to boot from another drive and access this RAID 10 array that way or in safe mode. If you still have troubles and the data is very valuable, there are professional data restoration companies out there that offer their services but they aren't cheap.

• 2. Re: X58 chipset Rebuilt RAID 10 not showing up as it should
            dluis

I boot from a seperate boot & os drive.

The D Drive is not accessable from My Computer or anywhere else.

The Intel Rapid Storage Technology Utility says it has rebuilt the array and refers to it as the original name I gave the array when I first created it, "Raid Group 10" it is an array of 4 each 640 GB SATA 3 HD's.

In the My Computer Window, it shows two Drives

#1C300- 256 MAG SSD, my boot & OS Drive

#2 "Local Disk D" unaccessable, but click on properties, tab Hardware, it shows the #1 C300 and it shows "Raid Group 10"Location 0

#3 My DVD

So my 1+0 raid array is there and appears to be intact, even the Drive name I gave it originally, so what do I need to do, change to show up in my computer as "Raid Group 10"?

I go into Disk Management, there it is identified as Disk Location 0 and is identified to contain only 596 GB, which is correct the 4 disck arry in raid 10 only show capacity of the lowest cap of the group, in my case all 4 are equal at 640 GB.

There must be Bio setting I am missing or a property setting, something somewhere.

It seemed this has happened previously and I made the change, but I have no idea what it was, and I have tried everything I could think of....somebody must know how to make this correction.

• 3. Re: X58 chipset Rebuilt RAID 10 not showing up as it should
              Flying_Kiwi

Sorry, it's not something I have that much experience with - if I have a problem with my array (that has only ever happened a couple of times and each time due to power failures/forced powering off) I either let it sort itself out (automatically) or format, reinstall and restore from backups. Maybe the Intel RST User Guide here may help? If the data is very valuable, it may pay you to consult the services of a data recovery company - unless anyone else in this community can chip in with the voice of experience?