Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Release date of 3rd Gen i7 Extreme i7 Desktop processors.

idata
Employee

The title pretty much says it all I'm just about to pull the trigger on building a new rig at first I was going to go for the current six-core LGA 2011 i7- 3960X but I wanted to know how soon we can expect a 3rd gen i7 extreme for the desktops and maybe I should wait a month or two.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

bump

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same question also, as I am ready to build a LGA 2011 and debating about which processor to purchase -- 3820, 3930, a future Ivy bridge or maybe wait for a Haswell? Is there any definite information about this from Intel? Otherwise I will just wait and build an LGA 1150 Haswell system. Current system is a LGA 775 QX9650.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I would advice to go for the 1155 platform

At this moment the ivy bridge processors are comming in to the field.

And they are again a bit faster than the 2cnd gen sbridges

What if heard is that the the 2011 socket platform wil do more or less the same as the 1366

It will be serving the top noch of the market, yes it will be faster.but also alot more expencive

compaird to the 1155 chipsets and the 1155 cpu's

Prefomance wise the 2011 platform ofc is faster.

But personaly i would not wanted to pay an extra xxx,- $ for like 10/15% more preformance.

Id rather invest that in some other nice components.

In short their both great platforms

Do i do beleave that 1155 is the way to go

(there are also more cpu's avaible thus i think there will be a longer upgrade path for the future.)

If money is not an isue and your gonna get one of the higer numbert processors go for 2011

If it is go for the 1155, u can always upgrade to one off the faster 1155 i7's in the future.

My 2cents.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the advice. IF, IF the 2011 does the same as the 1366, then there will not be any Ivy, Haswell, Broadwell chips, which would be unfortunate. These is merely opinion so do not quote me on this...

Personally I do not want to shell out the $500- $600 for a 3930 right now...

I could opt for the a 1155 IB 3770 now, but my thoughts are the following:

1. My current system contains a QX9650 which is a great chip along with a samsung 470, 8 GB of 800 MHZ ddr2 ram, and a Nvidia 560 TI. Not bad...

2. The reason for upgrade would be to have DDR 3, USB 3, Turbo boost, and other feature etc which the 1155 can provide.

3. I actually can wait until Window 8 release, and giving the typical 6 months to let the kinks get worked out of the new OS...

Since the new Haswell uses the 1150 chipset which I heard is not compatible to 1155, I believe I will wait until next year to upgrade. After researching, I like what the Haswell has to offer.

Only time will tell.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I menth with the 1366 socket like the amount off cpu's wich wil come on the market will be limited.

And on top of that they will do twice the amount off $ same for the mainboards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well after doing more digging around on youtube of all places I think I have found what I was looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtMt_BZgfDI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtMt_BZgfDI

The 3rd gen 3960x may come out in Q4, 12 or early october so say the video and the stuff they link to its all based on a "leaked" chart so I don't 100% trust it but its the best info I have heard so far. Thanks to everyone for the input though.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Yes, and again just after two months Intel will rollout the new series of 'mainstream' CPUs platform, which in most test will be on par or better that 'extreme' ones, like this happen with i7 980 vs i7 2600, i7 3960 vs i7 3770. Oh, forget about, also much stable & functional richer.

0 Kudos