4 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2012 3:18 PM by VAnton

INSTALLING W7 (64) ON DZ68BC WITH UEFI

VAnton

When I now enabled the UEFI-BOOT-Option in BIOS the System does not boot and shows a message: "Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I probably did not know, that probably the "UEFI-Boot"-Option in Bios had already to be enabled before installing the OS in GPT-"Mode".

At the moment there can be read in the System of the W7 on SSD-HD "C:" that the Volume is installed (or used) in MBR-"Mode" (Partition-Style).

My last question: Are there many advantages of usage when the OS is installed by  "UEFI-Boot-Enabled"-mode or is it nearly as good as it is already?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: INSTALLING W7 (64) ON DZ68BC WITH UEFI
          JFFulcrum

Yes, UEFI-boot must be enabled before OS installation, cause OS must mark drive to GPT-style partitioning and create special EFI boot partition (and place own boot module there). If you installed OS without EFI, you can not switch to EFI without OS reinstall and, probably, whole drive cleaning and repartitioning. In case of Windows OSes, only 64-bit Vista & 7 currently support UEFI-installation.

UEFI currently have no real advantages to home users in terms of speed or reliability except the capability for booting from more than 2 TB sized HDDs.

• 2. Re: INSTALLING W7 (64) ON DZ68BC WITH UEFI
            VAnton

Thank you very much!

I anyway am going to install again because it takes not so much time anymore like 10 years ago!

Do the three options for FAST BOOT have to be set "disabled" during installation?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: INSTALLING W7 (64) ON DZ68BC WITH UEFI
              JFFulcrum

Don`t touch BOOT optimizations in BIOS entirely, some of them may result, for example, keyboard inaccessibility at start-up time and you will be forced to CMOS reset. Just enable HPET and all virtualization features if you know how & where to use them. Also, if you plan for RAID system in future, you must select SATA mode to "RAID" in BIOS now, even if currently you have only one HDD/SDD in system, cause else later you will be forced to another OS reinstall for RAID configuration.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: INSTALLING W7 (64) ON DZ68BC WITH UEFI
                VAnton

Just enable HPET and all virtualization features if you know how & where to use them.

I tried but I could not find the "HPET"-Keyword anywhere in the customer-PDFs and also not in the BIOS.