5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2012 10:34 AM by phil_l

DZ77BH-55K - Does it have Hard-drive password option and where to buy?

phil_l

Hi

I'm looking at getting the DZ77BH-55K board and wanted to know if it supports setting a hard-drive password, I will be using it with an Intel 520 SSD and would like to get the benefit of 520 encryption, which requires the option to set the hard-drive password.

Where can I buy this board in UK?

Regards

Phil

• 1. Re: DZ77BH-55K - Does it have Hard-drive password option and where to buy?
          phil_l

Hi

I was hoping my question was simple enough to be quickly answered by an Intel representative.

I've checked the manual and can see no mention of a hard-drive password (ATA Security) in the BIOS settings, so I'm assuming it hasn't, which means I might as well go with something other than an Intel board, which is cheaper and available to order now.

Regards

Phil

• 2. Re: DZ77BH-55K - Does it have Hard-drive password option and where to buy?
            SysadminChris

I was under the impression that this motherboard did have ATA password capabilitys, until I built my new computer with one today.

Intel, security is something your customers need.  I bought this motherboard to ensure that I could have the best home workstation possible for a computer security expert and hardware enthuist at a sane price level.  I paired this with an Intel 520 SSD, known to be the most reliable SSD that supports ATA passwords.  I'm highly disappointed that Intel could not implement this password, and theirs documentation somewhere referencing that this computer can infact use ATA passwords.

• 3. Re: DZ77BH-55K - Does it have Hard-drive password option and where to buy?
              phil_l

Hi

Thank you for the update.  Can I just check you have the Intel 520 connected to SATA port 0, I've read elsewhere it has to be SATA port 0 for the BIOS to give an ATA password option.

It will be highly disappointing if this board doesn't implement ATA security.  I usually use Bitlocker for encryption in case the computer gets stolen so I know my data is safe.  Bitlocker of course has a slight hit on performance and even though I could still use Bitlocker with the 520 SSD drive, sending it encrypted data means the drive can't compress it, which then slows write speeds and also means it wears quicker.  With the Intel 520 always doing encryption on the data (from what I understand it compresses the data first then encrypts it) there is no hit on performance to use security on these, it just needs the ability to set a password.  Intel even use the encryption as a selling point, but without the ability to add a password it's worthless.

I really hope Intel are listening and enable the security option if it is indeed missing.

I haven't got this board yet, still debating on it.

Regards

Phil

• 4. Re: DZ77BH-55K - Does it have Hard-drive password option and where to buy?
                SysadminChris

It actually does support ATA Security extensions while connected to Port 0, I was wrong.  However, it doesn't have the ability to set / clear the password.

If I hit my shift key on any keyboard while typing in an ATA password, my PC just sits there and beeps at me too.

• 5. Re: DZ77BH-55K - Does it have Hard-drive password option and where to buy?
                  phil_l

Hi

Intel reps is there any news of when we will see a BIOS update to correctly support SSD passwords on this motherboard.  I bought one of your SSDs on the understanding it supports encryption and password protection, and one of your own motherboards based on the fact surely it would support the features of your own SSDs.

Currently we have a flawed BIOS that doesn't allow setting a Hard-drive password in ACHI mode, but will allow a password to be set if you switch to IDE mode but then only in the classic interface, which can't be right.  One person gave it a go and found they could no longer boot their PC.  It is a bit of a mess at the moment it would be nice to get an update.

Regards

Phil