Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20687 Discussions

Windows 8 1st Gen i3 Drivers (Intel HD Graphics)

idata
Employee

Your Download Center is currently offline when searching (Or Selecting) for drivers. This Meants that I am not able to find Correct Drivers for the device. I also know that you have In-Box (Windows Update) But they currently do not subbly OpenGL Which is needed for Many, Many, Many Applications that I use, Not to mention games. I question if you are cooking up a fresh batch of drivers for us as we cannot manually get them ourselves. If so can you Post a Link to them as most of the Web (My Platform) is moving to WebGL (Based on OpenGL). I also know that ATI and NVIDIA have updated their drivers to support Windows 8.

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0042&SUBSYS_305517AA&REV_18

As a side note I would like to criticize you on the fact that you refuse to use the Windows 7 Drivers on the Windows 8 System by leaving the INF file blank.

~~~~

Quinton Marchi

Web Dev & PhotoShopper

Marchi12, Acheron Gaming Division

0 Kudos
14 Replies
BF_
New Contributor II

They haven't made it available yet, but promise it for /message/154455# 154455 early May for 2nd and 3rd-gen. As you'll see, it doesn't look like anything beyond WU for 1st-gen, at least in early May.

0 Kudos
ND
Novice

Intel, will you update 1st generation of Intel HD Graphics or it's finish?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Quinton:

We provide Win8 drivers for our last two generations of products (Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 series and Intel HD graphics 2500/4000 series) on intel.com. We are committed to supporting our older systems with "inbox" drivers by working closely with Microsoft. While we have complete control over what we provide in our driver packages on intel.com, Microsoft decides what to include in "inbox" drivers. Unfortunately, OpenGL is one such feature that is not included in Win8 inbox drivers.

Suresh

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is bullshit, i`ll never buy an Intel based product again, because of your crap support on your integrated graphics i can`t use windows 8 with proper HDMI output even though my nvidia GT 540M would be more than enough to do it, but no it had to be intel with their crap support about drivers. At least have decency not to mingle into graphics if you can`t handle a proper support for it. I don`t want to buy your newest hardware for that , the old one was just fine, how stupid i was to even buy an Intel based laptop.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Microsoft will finalize Windows 8 (aka. RTM) sometime in early August as noted here:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/09/upcoming-windows-milestones-shared-with-partners-at-wpc.aspx Upcoming Windows Milestones Shared with Partners at WPC

and Windows 8 final will be available to the public in late October.

so for those using 1st generation Intel HD Graphics hardware will have to wait for a built-in but basic Win8 driver from Microsoft, not Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The Microsoft WDDM 1.1 Driver for 1st generation HD Graphics does not support wtv files nor TV tuner within Mediacenter. An old INTEL Version 8.15.10.2266 works fine with Windows 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

noelp3gx,

Drivers that come bundled with Win8 are provided to Microsoft by Intel, so it does come from Intel in a sense.

Ohim,

HDMI on win8 should work and if it does not work, we would like to fix it. Could you please elaborate on your system setup.

Thanks,

Suresh

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Acer 5742G

Intel Core i3 M380

4 GB ram

Nvidia GT 540M

500 GB 5200rpm HDD

There is no way to select 720p(since i can`t use fullHD) screen resolution (in win 7 it was possible, even trough intel gui), windows says it can even go up to 1680x1050 but everyrhing above the laptop`s 1366x768 has red dots artifacts when using HDMI (in windows 8 and 7). Tried to playback some HD content on my tv just to check it out how it looks and the playback is pathetic. In windows 7 i could play them, but not on 8. Can`t even play Vimeo, on the laptop`s LCD it looks ok, on tv choppy, no fluid framerate, and i don`t really want to go back to 7 since i find 8 more snappier and few other things. I care less for openGl support, but at least a good working HDMI would be fine.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Ohim

I took a look at the ACER 5745g specifications http://and do not see where there is Intel HD graphics involved./ here and do not see where there is Intel HD graphics involved. Additionally, you mention above that your systems has a Nvidia GT 540M graphics controller. Could you please elaborate on how we could help you with graphics driver support?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As you can see my laptop does have intel GPU, the nvidia card only kicks in when using games or applications liek Adobe Photoshop / Premiere etc. The HDMI output is controlled by the Intel GPU since the icon that shows the nvidia card`s activity is idle all the time while using HDMI.

Well the exact serial is Acer Aspire 5742G-384G50Mnkk if in any doubt.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ohim:

If your system has a discrete card, there are two possibilities. It might be a pure discrete based system or a switchable graphics system. If it is a pure discrete based system, then there is no Intel involved. If it is a switchable graphics system, you will also need drivers from Nvidia to enable it. Since you saw Intel graphics control panel, I believe it is a switchable graphics system. Typically, you would see a logo from Nvidia that states Optimus. If so, Nvidia needs to release a switchable graphics driver. Check with them. We'd like to hear how you solved it, so please let us know.

Suresh

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It`s switchable, when it doesn`t need graphic horespower it just runs on the intel card, and from what i`ve searched on the internet, the intel card is the one driving the HDMI output also, Nvidia already released a windows 8 Driver for this card, as far as it goes it`s all ok office/ gaming / photoshop / adobe premiere etc , hdmi performance is the only problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ohim:

In a switchable graphics system, the discrete graphics card driver makes a lot of decisions -- like where to run the program and when to copy the buffer, etc -- and sits on top of Intel driver. Try Nvidia's forums for answers. We dont see this issue internally with Intel graphics only systems. If Nvidia believes it is an issue on our end, they will notify us with more details.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

NoelPG wrote:

so for those using 1st generation Intel HD Graphics hardware will have to wait for a built-in but basic Win8 driver from Microsoft, not Intel.

I've been right on the money on this one several months ago. Microsoft has recently provided an in-box driver for 1st Gen Intel HD Graphics hardware at Windows Update which is fully compatible with Windows 8. the driver is version 8.15.10.2858 dated 10/9/2012 posted on Microsoft Update and Windows Update around the end of October 2012, a few days after Windows 8 was announced and released to the general public on Oct. 26. note that you need to be using the final/RTM release of Windows 8 in order to use this driver.

Better late than never for Intel and Microsoft to provide a Win8 driver for first gen. intel hd graphics devices.

0 Kudos