3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2012 6:35 PM by desertracer

DP67BGB3 Bios Hangs at EB during power on

desertracer

I am in the process of building a new system that includes a DP67BG, a i5-2500k, and a Sapphire HD 5770 video card.  When I start up for the first time, start up hangs at EB on the post display with the CPU, Video, and memory leds lit.  If I hit the reset button either on the case or on the board it starts the post process again and powers up just fine and normally.  Once in windows if I restart it, it restarts just fine and goes back to windows.  If I shut down and the turn it on with the power button, it hangs at EB.  I installed windows with bios 1900 and had the problem and I updated to 2111 and I still have the problem.  Other incidentals are windows 7 64 bit, 2 4GB sticks of GSkill memory, and a 120GB 520 SSD for OS. Haven't done any overclocking.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 1. Re: DP67BGB3 Bios Hangs at EB during power on
          Victor_Intel

Hello desertracer,

I understand that your system freezes during POST during a cold boot and the post code that you get is EB.

Usually the problem that you are experiencing is related to a device connected to the motherboard that is not recognized correctly. IT could be a hard drive, RAM memory, the video card or any PCI card.

I recommend you to set a hard drive delay in BIOS under the configuration tab and try again.

If the problem continues, try removing al the non essential components to see if the problem continues.

Regards.

PV

• 2. Re: DP67BGB3 Bios Hangs at EB during power on
            yamcenutzer

My experience is, that this is a general Intel BIOS issue and my 'feeling' is that it is related to USB enumeration during POST. Of course no one is likely to admit it, as I found with a ticket I opened with local Intel support.

See here:

http://communities.intel.com/message/149133#149133

It helps to enable as mush 'fast boot optimizations' as you can and disable all but the HDD for boot, but that has other side effects is also not always a choice.

• 3. Re: DP67BGB3 Bios Hangs at EB during power on
              desertracer

Thanks for the help.  I did start turning off USB ports and firewire that I wasn't using and that seems to help.  I did try the fast boot options but like you said it introduces its own problems.  I have ordered a HD 6850 in hopes that a newer video card may help things a little.

I do appreciate the help from intel (Victor), but I am curious why they (Intel) advertise the speed of the new 520 series SSD and then would recommend introducing a hard drive delay.

I thought about updating to the latest BIOS but that will keep me from going backwords after that point and I am curious if the 22nm support will have its own headaches.