7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 9:00 PM by mfonseca

DH61WW Unstable With BIOS 0038 Pre-Flashed?

jtom

I have RMA'ed the same two DH61WW boards several times already. They all came back with BIOS 0038 flashed. They all experience the same various symptoms but not simultaneously, such as no POST, constantly reboots itself, unresponsive with black screen with power light off but still on, and/or the unit will power on and off immediately after turning it on.

With these boards I tried everything from different power supplies, processors (same and different models), memory. Inside a chassis and outside the chassis. Just with board, cpu and memory and a power supply to no avail. Downgrading the BIOS (if it stays on long enough) doesn't help or makes things worse.

If I used the same hardware on a brand new board from distribution, it works like a charm. We have ordered and installed 40+ of these with identical configurations and the only hitch were these two boards we gotten back from RMA.

Bare mininum specs:

Intel DH61WW

Intel I5-2320

4GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2 (single module)

Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: DH61WW Unstable With BIOS 0038 Pre-Flashed?
          Nipo

Intel download center states

"BIOS version 0038 has been removed from Download Center. This version is no longer valid for H61-based boards."

You got boards with faulty bioses. It is better to return them now since it is a well know issue.

• 2. Re: DH61WW Unstable With BIOS 0038 Pre-Flashed?
            jtom

I guess I either call up tech support to have them ship me boards that didn't have the faulty BIOS or keep returning them until I get one that works. I RMA these at least 4 times already. What's even more hilarious is that the reason I have these two boards is that I flashed two brand new boards with 038 before Intel took it down. Story of my life.

• 3. Re: DH61WW Unstable With BIOS 0038 Pre-Flashed?
              Nipo

And the latest 0042 bios? available for download now.

Hot-flash would have been posssible if bios chip wasn't soldered or by bios programming device and forcing it back to 0035 thus bypassing the problem of blacklisting...since the Management Engine included in the old bios becomes blacklisted in the new bios and flashing atempt is denied by the flashing software included in the bios.

It has been impossible for my h61ww to downgrade any bios so far, 0035 can't go back to previous and so on.

0042 clearly will not be downgradable either, it is meant for some h61ww identifiable by part numbers but it should work with all part numbers, why not.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DH61WW Unstable With BIOS 0038 Pre-Flashed?
                jtom

I will try to flash the boards with 038 to 0042 and see if that helps.

• 5. Re: DH61WW Unstable With BIOS 0038 Pre-Flashed?
                  jtom

I flashed both boards with 0042. One of the boards seems to be running flawlessly for days so far. The other one locked up while running Burn In Test and it no longer POST. It powers on and it immediately powers off, rinse and repeat until I power off the power supply. I think that one is "gone". Will return that one.

However I am still wary about the one that seems to be working but without putting it in a realistic production environment, there's no way of knowing if it will fail again.

• 6. Re: DH61WW Unstable With BIOS 0038 Pre-Flashed?
                    mfonseca

BIOS 0042 didn't help me at all.  Newer 0044 is flawless.  Make sure you flash the BIOS from recovery mode (no BIOS configuration jumper installed), so that the entire flash is updated with the newer format.  Also remember that BIOS 0045 and newer remove support for some 2nd generation processors, so the safest choice is recovering to 0044 and moving from there as needed for your specific processor.

Miguel

• 7. Re: DH61WW Unstable With BIOS 0038 Pre-Flashed?
                      mfonseca

BIOS 0042 didn't help me at all with the problem you describe.  However, BIOS version 0044 works flawlessly.  Make sure you flash the BIOS from recovery mode (no BIOS configuration jumper installed), so that the entire flash space is updated with the newer format.  Also remember that BIOS 0045 and newer remove support for some 2nd generation processors, so the safest choice is recovering to 0044 so the PC works correctly, and then moving from there as needed for your specific processor.

Miguel