Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14615 Discussions

S5000PSL (Non R) & Xeon 5300 on theoretically unsupported PBA

idata
Employee

Hi,

sorry for the stupid question but i thought someone here might have an answer...

So I've recently acquired an old SC5400 with an S5000PSL -SAS with PBA D44749-801.

The official Xeon 5300 compatibility list says I'd need D44749-803 to run any Quad Core CPU (ie Xeon 5300) on it.

Now it happens that i have another Server with a Xeon L5345 here and thought I'd invest the 5 minutes to test it - and it worked?

Don't misunderstand me I'm happy (saves me from buying a new Board) but I wonder which risks I'll be running (besides it not being a supported configuration)...

Are there any problems to expect (data faults, glitches, early death of components due to overstressed conductors or I don't know what?)

Does anyone have any info on this?

Thx,

regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

If the processor is not compatible, it means the motherboard is not validated for the power and thermal specifications of the processor. It also means that the BIOS has no explicit support for the stepping and frequency of the processor.

Since the motherboard and processor are not designed to work together, what you can expect is an unstable system at any time and you can expect it to fail sooner than expected and this can be caused by anything, such as a simple BIOS update on your board, or it can even just happen.

Instability issues cover basically everything: from data faults up to boot issues.

This automatically voids the warranty of both server board and processor since, the 3 year limited Warranty only covers manufacturing defects while, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, improper testing is not covered:http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/english_3yr_warranty.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/english_3yr_warranty.pdf

idata
Employee

Hi,

ok, thx - so nothing definitve but as expected a lot of maybe's

rgds,

Thomas

0 Kudos