Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

"New" oem cpu looks like used, how it must looks. What about testing on factory (Can't buy boxed cpu)

idata
Employee
I'm asking about LGA 1155 Core i3, i5, i7 cpu. 1. most of the OEM and some boxed new cpu are have dents in the form of small dots on the golden contacts on the bottom of the cpu. and/or scratches, or thin dark lines on the metal lid of cpu. is it normal, or it means that cpu was in use (used). 2. And I want to know. is the each brand new cpu has been inserted in socket of the motherboard or something else at the time of testing at the factory, or not. 3. If it yes. that means, the all/almost all (OEM and Boxed) cpu must have dents/dots on the golden contacts on the bottom of the cpu. But, what about cpu which do not have any dents/dots on bottom or lines on lid of cpu (clean), what about it, please answer in detail. 4. Please tell me if you really know, how each cpu is tested on factory. Tell me about full process of testing, if you can. If you can't, please give me some links. 5. If there difference between the ways of testing on different factorys or between model of cpu (Pentium G8XX, i3, i5, i7), please tell me about them. 6. I heard, there is some little difference in quality of cpu on factorys in the Costa Rica (Better, more clean) and Malay (More scratches, little bit dirty). Please answer in detail, i really wanna know. Because stores in my city usually have only OEM cpu, so i can't distinguish new from used cpu. Each cpu looks almost the same. Sorry for my english. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

We strongly recommend buying Boxed Products only from Authorized Distributors. An Intel(R) Boxed Processor will be sold in a factory-sealed package and each processor carries a 3-year limited warranty.

The OEM processors are not individually packaged in a box, they do not include a thermal solution, and the warranty is set and honored by the vendor. The vendors are allowed to sell the processors directly to the consumers, and warranties can vary from vendor to vendor.

Normally the Processors are tested in factory. After testing, the unit may be marked on the metal surface and the golden contacts. However, Intel(R) confirms that all the units are released under the proper conditions and they should be working normally. Also, please bear in mind that the vendor may be testing the units.

Regarding the testing process in our facilities and the differences between factories, we cannot compare the products or quality between locations. Also, the information about the test performed in our facilities is confidential.

0 Kudos