3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 8:24 AM by tjg79 RSS

missing support from Intel

Shyti Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I'm writing here to send a complaint about Intel way of giving support to their customers.

Recently I decided to build a new Desktop PC and relying on Intel quality I started from the CPU and Motherboard. I carefully chose as a motherboard an Intel DX79TO with an i7 3820 CPU. Then I chose an adequate RAM, video card, hard drive, and so on, in order to have everything fitting perfectly to the CPU and motherboard. At the end I spent more than 2K euros for my PC.

When I received all the pieces, I assembled everything and I switched it on... great emotion when I plugged the power cable and pressed the power button. Suddenly after a couple of second it shut down. I took some days to figure out that the BIOS was not supporting the CPU, by reading this forum. I was not believing that a recommended combination of CPU and motherboard could not work (even switch on), especially because it was an Intel recommendation.

Ok, it happens, in the bloody edge of the technology it could happen to have those little hassles, I would prefer to be noticed before hand, but anyway I'll survive.

"Intel is a top company and it will for sure support me somehow for their mistake", I though! Unfortunately I had to regret quite soon. I had three chats with the Intel operators:

1st chat (using the web chat tool): the guy suggested me to call the local technical support. He said that is a known issue (then why the hell you are not writing it anywhere?)

2nd chat (in a phone call with the German operator): he tried with several options:

* make a BIOS update (how can I make a BIOS update if I cannot even start the motherboard?)

* put another CPU (usually I buy 1 CPU per motherboard, I don't have another LGA2011 CPU)

* go to a computer shop in your town and ask them to update the firmware (what???)

* go to locate.intel.com to find the closest Intel center (well, the closest is at around 100km away from where I live, it means 1 day off from my work, car petrol, time lost, and so on)

* send it to us but is expensive for you (does it mean that I should pay and spend time to fix your mistake?)

finally he got rid of me convincing me to have a more careful look at locate.intel.com

3rd chat: they opened a case for me and asked me to send it in england to take care about the shipment costs and in case of damage... all right, you know already... warranty, motherboard, money, all lost. I complained and the operator submitted my complaints to another department, still no answer.

I tried to write to the Quality&Reliability department, but no answer. I tried to call the closest computer store suggested by the operator in the second chat but they didn't know what I was talking about.

I tried then to call Amazon (where I bought everything) in order to get somehow some support, but the only thing I can do is to give back the motherboard. But then I should give back all what I have, because everything has been chosen starting from motherboard and CPU.

Actually I have no clue what to do: to spend money and waste time for something that is not my fault it doesn't look so fair. To give back everything and start from another system (surely another manifacturer) requires too much effort for just a piece of code that simply requires a couple of minutes to be copied.

I'm really upset and I really feel like being screwed over by Intel and the result is that I have more than 2K euros lying naked on my desk and I cannot enjoy it and start working, since two weeks, loosing slowly their worth.

• 1. Re: missing support from Intel
    tjg79 Community Member

Such is the life of a system builder. I've experienced "compatibility" issues with newly released products, but those issues usually get resolved in time when bios bugs are fixed. If the system doesn't work and Intel can't give a solution date, return the products for refund and start with another motherboard/processor combo.

Intel will fix the board/processor issue eventually if they want to sell the product or they may recall the product.

To Intel's credit, I bought a new Intel motherboard based system from a local computer store ten years ago. I can't recall the issue, but I took the system back to the store for tech support. To my pleasant surprise, I picked up the system with a new motherboard, because Intel had recalled the previous installed board. Everything worked fine. I still have that pentium III based system running windows xp.

Regards

• 2. Re: missing support from Intel
    Shyti Community Member

I'm not upset because of the incompatibility itself, because it may happen, as I wrote I'm in the bloody edge of the technology and these kind of things are normal, I also work in a technology area and I face every day with those kind of problems.

What drives me crazy is that Intel is simply ignoring their own mistake and they are refusing to give a valid support. Today I've been contacted and they told me that getting my motherboard to re-flash the BIOS should be considered as a favor... in your opinion, does it have any sense?

In your case it was easy because you simply gave back your product to a real technician who fixed your problem, I bought it from Amazon and they cannot flash a new BIOS on the motherboard . I also had different kind of processors (486, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium IV HT, Pentium Celeron, Core 2, Core Duo 2, i3, i5) and some of these are still working fine.

Anyway, I'm a bit tired to wait and fight with Intel, and I'll give up. I will return the motherboard, the CPU and the fan (because I also bought the liquid thermal solution for the LGA2011 socket from intel) and I'll move to AMD system, for the very first time in my life.

• 3. Re: missing support from Intel
    tjg79 Community Member

I wouldn't let a little BIOS flash logistics challenge change my plans. On the positive side, at least Intel has a fix for the issue. If you think about it, there may be a way to get the flash executed without too much delay or cost and then you can build your system as you originally intended.

Check with Intel and see if they've started shipping the board with the newer BIOS. If they have, find out if they have an indication on the packaging lable to indicate a board with the more recent BIOS. If so, find a retailer that has the newer version of the board and return your original board. You then won't have a BIOS flash challenge.

Good luck and regards

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points