8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2012 1:22 AM by mori47200747

DX58SO not recognize 16 GB of memory with bios ver.5561 !!!!!!!

mori47200747

I have an Intel DX58SO motherboard with and i7-920 cpu. I want to upgrade the memory in my computer from 12 gig to 16 gig , all the memory kits have the same brand and specification, (4*4gig ellite bus 1333 ,

• Speed: 1333MHz
      • Timing: 9-9-9-24
      • Type: DDR3
      • Format: DIMM
      • Pin Out: 240 Pin

Voltage: 1.5V) ,i am working on a project i need to have 16 gig memory ,  i have the latest bios version ,When I put three memories on the blues three channels of memory, working memory and the computer recognizes 12 GB,but when I add the memory 4 in black channel, the computer turns on and  begins to make 3 sounds followed by silence, continuously.

please help me, I have updated the bios to the latest version, this problem still exist!!!!!! I have tested all the memory kits , I think this is the motherboard issue, what should I do now?!!!!!! as far as I remember , i had installed 4 * 2 gig 2 years ago , and it worked like a charm , but now it wont boot , intel said they have solved this problem , but the problem still exist! I have tested the BLACK DIMM alone , but the computer turns on and  begins to make 3 sounds followed by silence, continuously,help me please.

• 1. Re: DX58SO not recognize 16 GB of memory with bios ver.5561 !!!!!!!
          Dan_Intel

Hello,

Here are our recommendations for this issue:

1. Test every single memory slot with one memory module to ensure they all are working fine.

2. Test with a different power supply with at least 450-500 watts

3. Let us know the exact part number of the memory to confirm compatibility with it.

4. Test with a BIOS recovery, please be sure to read and follow all accompanying instructions, which can be found at this link:

http://developer.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm

• 2. Re: DX58SO not recognize 16 GB of memory with bios ver.5561 !!!!!!!
            mori47200747

hi,

I have tested the memory slots with one single memory , unfortunately , the black slot is not working , the problem is the black slot I knew that , but as I said before 2 years ago I installed 4 * 2gig on all slots and it worked perfect , after that, I have updated the bios many times , now the black slot is not working!!!!!!!!!! the problem is the black slot , I have posted the default bios for you , maybe you can help me,:

http://edit 14042012191.jpg

14042012192.jpg

14042012193.jpg

14042012194.jpg

14042012196.jpg

by the way I have tested all memories on an asus i7 1366 board , and the board supported the 16 gig memory , I sorry to tell you this , but I am completely disappointed with your product, thanks for helping me,

• 3. Re: DX58SO not recognize 16 GB of memory with bios ver.5561 !!!!!!!
              tjg79

Try testing the black slot with one module in the first blue slot (adjacent to the black slot) and one module in the black slot. If you see the two modules in BIOS, then your black slot is working. It wasn't clear from what you indicated, but the system will not start with only one module in the black slot. Also, set you BIOS to default settings except for what you need to boot.

Regards

• 4. Re: DX58SO not recognize 16 GB of memory with bios ver.5561 !!!!!!!
                mori47200747

hello,

I have tried testing the memory slots as you said , i have tested the the black slot with one module in the first blue slot (adjacent to the black slot) and one module in the black slot,and the board detects the two memories!!!!and after that I have installed the third memory kit on third slot , but the computer turned on and  begins to make 3 sounds continuously, after that I removed the third memory and installed it on fourth slot and suddenly the computer turned on and detected the third memory kit , then I added the fourth memory kit on third slot and , the computer supports the 16 gig memory!!!!!!dear users (Dan_Intel and tjg79) thanks for your support.

Thanks,

• 5. Re: DX58SO not recognize 16 GB of memory with bios ver.5561 !!!!!!!
                  tjg79

You indicated that the system suddenly started when you inserted a memory module in the 4th slot. I hope you are ensuring there is no power to the board when you are inserting or removing memory modules. There is standby power at the memory when the system is off. You need to ensure you unplug or switch off the power to the PSU to ensure no standby power. Also, you can see an indication of standby power from the green led on the board.

It's interesting that the board indicated a memory issue with the first three DIMM slots populated, but started when the channels 1 and 3 were populated. Do you have a quad memory kit or two dual memory kits?

Good to hear your system is up and running.

Regards

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: DX58SO not recognize 16 GB of memory with bios ver.5561 !!!!!!!
                    mori47200747

hello ,

here is the solution for installing 4 * 4 gig memory = 16 gig memory on intel dx58so , I think , its necessary to explain how to install 16 gig memory on dx58so because ,intel didn't mention how to install (4 * 4 gig memory = 16 gig) on dx58so board.

To be honest it wasn't easy to install (4 * 4 gig memory = 16 gig),here is the solution :

true.jpg

first in figure 1 you have to install 2*4gig memory on channel A DIMM 1 and channel A DIMM 0  and and turn oyur pc on to detect the 2 memory kits.

after that install another 4gig memory kit on channel C , not channel B , and turn your pc again to let the pc detect the 3trd memory kit , as I mentioned in figure2.

add another 4gig memory kit on channel B , and turn your pc on  again ,that's it !!!!!!!! bingo, the 16 gig memory has been detected by the board.

by the way, thank you dear users for helping me on this particular topic.

good luck

Message was edited by: mori47200747

• 7. Re: DX58SO not recognize 16 GB of memory with bios ver.5561 !!!!!!!
                      tjg79

I would add that in order to be safe and not fry your memory, the board or both, to ensure that you have switched off all power to the board before you add or remove memory modules. You've got to pull the plug on the power supply unit or switch the power supply unit off (not to be confused with the computer power switch) to ensure no standby power is available on the board.

Also, if you are upgrading memory, in this case, it's best to obtain four memory modules that have been tested together and sold in a quad memory kit. Corsair indicated that there's a 50% chance of incompatible memory modules if you obtain two dual memory kits as opposed to a quad memory kit.

Regards

• 8. Re: DX58SO not recognize 16 GB of memory with bios ver.5561 !!!!!!!
                        mori47200747

hi,

yes , I know that my dear friend ,as far as I remember I had swiched off the power supply ( the main switch behind the power supply), and waited for the green LED on the board to turn off, by the way I indicated that the board suddenly turned on , yes , you are right , but how? let me explain , when I switched the power supply off and wait for 30 seconds for the Green LED to turn off , after that I installed the memory kits and switched the power supply on , since the board had unsuccessful boot attempt, the safe watch dog technology tried to recover that unseccessful boot , but it couldn't , and caused the board to turn itself on and off.

I have to mention that these days with the advent of technology, the boards in this category (socket 1366) should support at least 16 gigabytes of ram without any problem!!! , and it's very odd to see that the intel board have the problem of memory detection issue,one of my friends has an asus board ( socket 1366) , I decided to test my memory kits , when I installed the memory kits(4*4gig = 16 gig) on his asus board , the board could detect all the memory kits in a flash!!! but thanks for your help and your suggestion..

good luck .