1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 6:21 AM by Flying_Kiwi

Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920

tjg79

I'm running Win7 Pro x64 on the system described above with no overclocking. Installed are three 2GB memory modules for a total system memory of 6GB. The PSU is Corsair HX850.

The os was clean installed about three weeks ago and everything was running smoothly until I started to get system freezes where I had to depress the reset switch to restart the system. Most of the system freezes are when the system is idle and the screen saver is up; I can't get the system to respond to keyboard and mouse input so I'm forced to reset or hold the power switch down for four seconds.

I've been looking for the cause of my system freezes and noticed the Processor Vcc fluctuates and don't recall seeing that before. The Vcc sits around 1.059 (appears low from previous observations), but fluctuates occaisonaly up to 1.259. Is this normal or an indication of something wrong?

I've run the Intel processor utility and everything passes. Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting this condition?

Regards

• 1. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
          Flying_Kiwi

My CPU Vcc fluctuates markedly as well - that's not normally anything to be worried about (and if it was, Intel Desktop Utilities would flag it up as a problem - if the needle went into the red zone).

What changes have you made to the system since it was all working fine and dandy - if it's only been a short while since the last fresh install has any software been added, any tweaking here or there in Windows, any BIOS settings changes? How long are you waiting after moving the mouse/pressing a keyboard button for any response (my system sometimes takes a couple of seconds to respond, especially if the Bluetooth mouse has been in its charging cradle)?

• 2. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
            tjg79

Thanks for the response Kiwi,

The strange thing is that I haven't made any changes to the system. The system froze a few times back on 25/26 March. I did a full scan with Windows Defender and found a virus in old Outlook pst files that weren't even loaded into Outlook. It was a virus (trojan) attached to an old email from ten years ago. I removed the files and I thought that solved the problem. But the system started freezing again about a day ago and now I'm wondering about the cause.

No BIOS setting changes. Presently, I'm set for RAID, but all disks are in non-RAID config.

I've been waiting sufficient time after attempting input with mouse and keyboard. I notice that there is no disk activity by the LED on the front panel; it's a complete system freeze.

Vcc fluctuations may have nothing to do with the system freeze. I'm just grasping to blame something for messing up my new clean install of Win7.

Regards

• 3. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
              Flying_Kiwi

Hmm, without any changes having taken place this will be a tricky one to pin down. You mentioned the Vcc is lower than you recall it when you first set up the system and it was working fine so it'd be worth double checking all the power connections to the motherboard to ensure they're still good (power down fully, unplug from the wall then unplug each connector to the motherboard inspect the connectors within on both sides and plug back together fully).

Although I have done so in the past, I wouldn't rely on Windows Defender as your sole AV solution as there are much better solutions out there. If you've only recently performed a fresh install it may be easiest in the long run to repeat the process (perhaps by disconnecteing the currently used drive and using one of the other ready for RAID drives for a test install). If so, how does that perform? Even simpler, you could also try unplugging all the HDDs other than the boot drive (just for testing purposes). This would at least help you to ascertain if its a hardware or software issue responsible for the freezing.

If it's all been working smoothly for a short while then it's unlikely to be hardware failure but there is something called the bath tub curve relating to component failure so on rare occasions parts do fail in their infancy. What are your full system details (incl memory make and model, HDDs, graphics and other add-on cards etc)?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                tjg79

I checked the system log in event viewer and I suspect Adobe Flash Player Update Service has something to do with the issue. The last Information Level Alert was related to the Adobe Flash Player Update Service entered stopped state. The next entry is the Information Level Alert that the os had started. That entry was my reset/power switch restart.

After I detected the old virus with Windows Defender, I became concerned that my ESET Smart Security 5 didn't detect the virus earlier. I changed the ESET settings to the most sensitive so that wouldn't happen again. A couple of the ESET settings had warnings that performance may decrease if set. To eliminate ESET from the equation, I've gone back and set all ESET settings to default.

Presently, I'm waiting for the freeze to happen again. It may not be Intel related.

Regards

• 5. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                  Flying_Kiwi

I think if any updates to Adobe Flash Player were causing freezes, Adobe would have got wind of this and fixed things. Defender picking up a virus warning (when the ESET software does not) may simply be Defender giving a false alarm but hopefully disconnecting your non-essential drives for testing purposes will rule out that entirely (I'm assuming these files were on a drive other than the boot drive). My PC recently grabbed an update for Flash Player and it went through without incident (although I'm using Win 7 Home Premium SP1 32 bit).

I added/amended my earlier post just after you posted again so you may want to re-read that to get the extra bits.

• 6. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                    tjg79

System Hardware:

Processor: i7-920

Board: DX58SO

Board Version: AAE29331-501

BIOS Version: SOX5810J.86.5561.2011.0516.2023

BIOS Date: 5/16/2011

Memory: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 TR3X6G1600C9 1.65V Ver. 2.3 (3 2GB Modules for 6GB system memory)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

PSU: Corsair HX850

Drives:

2 Segate Barracuda 500GB SATA ST3500320AS

1 Segate Barracuda 500GB SATA ST3500418AS (system disk)

No other boards installed at the moment.

Regards

• 7. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                      tjg79

Windows Defender did catch the virus that ESET Smart Securty 5 and my previous ESET Smart Securty 4 didn't. I moved the pst files to my notebook and loaded them into Outlook; ESET detected the virus and moved the email to the infected email folder in Outlook. So, the virus detection was legit and Defender gets an attaboy for out performing ESET.

• 8. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                        Flying_Kiwi

tjg79 wrote:

Memory: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 TR3X6G1600C9 1.65V Ver. 2.3 (3 2GB Modules for 6GB system memory)

A quick check on the Corsair memory Configurator shows different (slower with lower voltage) memory options here: http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=719512  but that seems to be default (not overclockable) speed memory - are you sure your memory is fully compatible? I see that Intels web page for your boards compatible memory here: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx58so/sb/CS-029865.htm implies it should be OK (especially given its an Extreme Series board) and the page here shows it's been used successfully: http://www.cmtlabs.com/mbTestSummary.asp?bNav=True&sTestNum=016493 but that doesn't explain why its not listed in Corsairs memory configurator (perhaps they don't consider overclocking options?). Maybe other users can verify if its worked fine with this board (and if so whether any manual tweaking was required) otherwise it'd be worth liaising with Corsair to get a definitive answer.

As you already have the latest BIOS flashed onto the board (and I'm assuming you're using all the latest drivers for your OS), all I can suggest is simplifying the system back to basics as much as possible and testing incrementally with each additional piece of software or configuration change thereafter.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                          tjg79

I've consulted with Corsair several times over the three years I've had this system. The memory was what they were selling three years ago. I haven't had any issues with memory since December 2009 when Corsair replaced all modules under warranty. I just ran memtest86+, one pass, default tests, and everything passed. I'll set the system to run memtest86+ all night this evening to see if anything comes up on multiple passes. Corsair recommends multiple passes to fully check the memory.

Although, the memory is rated higher, it's only running at 1.5V and 1067MHz in this system. Unless the memory fails an extended Memtest86+ test with multiple passes, I'm certain that the memory is not the issue.

The latest Intel drivers and os & application updates are loaded.

It's likely an os issue that will be hard to track down. I'm waiting for the next freeze so I can check all the system log files to try to pin this down. The fact that I'm now wanting it to freeze will likely make it refuse freeze. This machine likes to get under my skin.

Regards

• 10. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                            tjg79

I'm seeing some references to disk controller issues in the log files. Could that be a board hardware or driver issue?

Regards

• 11. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                              Flying_Kiwi

Alas I don't know but reporting the specific details here may get results from others who've experienced the same or even Intel volunteers monitoring the forum. Of course you should also contact Intel Tech Support with specific details.

• 12. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                                tjg79

I'm not sure what to report.

I was typing a reply to an email and the system just rebooted on its own. I don't know what caused the reboot. I'm checking the  event viewer logs and I see a number of Info level alerts pertaining to "a service was installed in the system," Service Name: Efi Variable Service, Service File Name: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Drivers\variable64.sys, Service Type: kernel mode driver, Service Start Type: demand start.

It appears a driver caused the system to reboot on its own. I don't know anything about this subject yet.

Regards

• 13. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                                  tjg79

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/05e27889-b729-4a98-bae3-e91f8b204c5e.aspx

The Event ID 10, described on the link above, seems to be related to the system freeze and reboots.

Does anyone know anything about this topic?

Regards

• 14. Re: Fluctuating Processor Vcc - DX58SO/i7-920
                                    Flying_Kiwi

tjg79 wrote:

I'm not sure what to report.

Earlier you wrote that your event log referred to controller issues - those log details along with anything else that you think may be relevant.

If you uninstall Intel Desktop Utilities do you still get the Variable64.sys errors? Given you referred to a virus on one of the HDDs some time ago and it's clear this isn't a basic 'skin and bones' installation any more, you need to go back to basics and test again - as mentioned earlier preferably via another fresh installation (and if there's been a virus on the HDD, preferably after you've zero filled the HDD first).

1 2 Previous Next