Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14613 Discussions

i5 2500K compatible memory

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have a core i5 2500K on my system and just installed a Corsair Vengeance dual channel 2x4Gb DDR3 @ 1600 MHz kit on the system, and since then it has been giving blue screens and frequent reboots. Also the prime95 test stops with an error in hardware. If i reinstall my Kingston DDR3 @ 1066mhz all is good. My question is, is core i5 2500K compatible with corsair vengeance ddr3 2x4 gb @ 1600mhz 1.5v?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Does anyone have any ideia if there is a memory-processor compatible problem? I don't think so, cuz on the memory kit it says its for i3, i5 and i7 processors. But still the system doesn't work properly with it installed.

thanks for any help provided

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Based on the behavior and the system configuration we can expect some issues using this memory since it is designed at 1600Mhz. This Processor requires memory designed at 1066 or 1333Mhz and 1.5 volts. Check the memory specifications at:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-%286M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz%29 http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-%286M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz%29

Working out of these specifications will force the memory controller to downgrade the speed to 1333Mhz. This will be causing a discrepancy between the memory and the Processor that will affect the system performance and also may damage the Processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks

I did suspect that after taking in to consideration the memory type on the intel page.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I looked at some of the Specifications on certain motherboard with the H77 chipset, and it says that 1600 speed RAM can only be used with 3rd generation Processors. However, I believe that RAM compatability is based on how the specific Motherboard Model Number. I am wary about RAM compatibility with Intel motherboards because Intel tends to stick strictly to the motherboard Specifications. Some motherboard may let you use 1600 DDR3 based on overclocking (OC). Please be careful and dont just buy things based on what you think or someone you know told you.

0 Kudos