4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 1:29 PM by rseiler

Intel Pro Network Connections LAN Driver 17.0 & DX58SO

tjg79

I installed the new driver and checked my system. In Win7 Control Panel Programs and Features, and in Device Manager Properties, the driver version is listed as 16.8.46.0.

On the driver tab in Device Manger Properties, the Driver Version is listed as 10.1.17.0, dated 10/20/2011; no change from the install.

At first I thought the driver didn't load, because the previous version was 16.8.1 and I didn't see a 17.0. So, I uninstalled from Programs & Features and reloaded after reboot.

It appears the installed version 16.8.46.0 is the download version 17.0.

If that's the case, why does Intel publish a driver advertised as version 17.0, but installs as version 16.8?

Regards

• 1. Re: Intel Pro Network Connections LAN Driver 17.0 & DX58SO
          Flying_Kiwi

Because their LAN driver package includes support for a HUGE variety of Intel network hardware and different hardware may require different driver versions from within the package you've downloaded. The 17.0 will only refer to the driver package version and not necessarily which driver within will be used. Does that clarify things for you?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel Pro Network Connections LAN Driver 17.0 & DX58SO
            tjg79

Thanks

I suspected as such.

It would make things a bit less uncertain on my end if the advertised version number more closely matched the installed version number. It's easier to compare installed drivers vs available download drivers when you know the numbers will match.

Regards

• 3. Re: Intel Pro Network Connections LAN Driver 17.0 & DX58SO
              Flying_Kiwi

The reason that they cant make all the internal drivers version 17.0 as well as the package version is because then, in the case of any problems, how do they know which specific driver is in use? - they must use versions to tel the differences between drivers for different hardware as thats the only way to tell. The best you can hope for is a driver version being used that 'fairly closely' matches the package version. Your example is actually pretty good and if you look at some example of graphics drivers, you'll see the internal driver version thats used can be nothing like the package version number! I'm glad you are now clear on why it is like it is (even though it is less than perfectly/ideally user friendly this way).

• 4. Re: Intel Pro Network Connections LAN Driver 17.0 & DX58SO
                rseiler

I look inside the installer package with something like 7-Zip before installing Intel's LAN drivers these days. You just have to drill down to the appropriate directory (ndis62, as I recall, in my case) where you can see if it has old or new dates. In this case, old.

1 of 1 people found this helpful