1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 8:28 PM by dubbah

DP55KG - hard hang with white noise coming from audio

dubbah

I have a DP55KG (AAE47218-403) with a Core i7 860, 8 GiB RAM.

Randomly (from a couple of times a day to every couple of weeks) it dies - completely unresponsive, and the speakers are emitting white noise (or maybe pink noise) - random hissing noise.

Holding the power switch down for 10 seconds has no effect - the power needs to be removed.  (Fortunately the 600 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro power supply has a rocker switch.)  It seems that it has crashed at the BIOS level.

It reboots fine, and runs for a few hours to a few weeks before doing it again.  I've replaced the memory with a set from another system that I upgraded, but no change.  (Memory tests (memtestx86) run for several days without any errors reported.)

Has anyone else seen this?

The BIOS is a couple of updates old, but the change logs don't mention anything that seems related.

I'm considering trying a new power supply, but that's a fair chunk of money to spend on a "maybe it's the power supply" guess.  (The power supply is way over-sized - the system has a 9800GT and three disks.)

• 1. Re: DP55KG - hard hang with white noise coming from audio
          dubbah

...and the BIOS event logs have nothing - although there was one spurious entry about a CPU thermal limit being exceeded a week or so ago.

"Spurious" because it's winter, and the furnace has been off for a month - the office probably hasn't been above 20º for two months.  And "spurious" because that's the only "high temperature" entry in the log.  If there were a thermal event for every "white noise hang", it would be time to try a new CPU cooler.