4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2012 5:39 PM by wali

Upgrading system memory - Intel DH61WW

wali

Hi there,

I am having Intel Desktop Board DH61WW, 64-bit Intel Core i3-2100 3.1 GHz processor with Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate installed.

I am looking forward to upgrade my system memory in order to do my graphical based work even more smoothly. At the moment, installed memory is of Corsair DDR3 2GB-1333BUS and board having two memory slots out of which one of them is currently unused.

My question is it will be compatible by my machine if I installed additional 4GB memory using my second unused memory slot? For clarification, that would be something like this:

• Memory Slot 1
        • Installed size: 2GB
        • Memory size: 1333MHz

• Memory Slot 2
        • Installed size: 4GB
        • Memory size: 1333MHz

I am not sure if my system could support my desired configuration. For that, please help me out ASAP. I am really looking forward to boost my system speed.

Looking forward for your prompt response.

Cheers.

• 1. Re: Upgrading system memory - Intel DH61WW
          fsnyder24

Good morning! Thanks for posting. Good to see you. My name Is ******* (edited for personal content), I am a computer tech from San Dimas, Ca. I have over 10 years of experience and hopefully this will help you.

Your motherboard DH61WW has 2 DIMM slots made to hold 8GB of Total Memory, maximum Speed of 1333Mhz. So in short yes, you adding a 4GB 1333Mhz RAM Module will up your system memory to 6GB. But it will be in SINGLE Channel mode. Which isn't the optimal configuration.Now, if I may a better solution would to replace the current module you have and purchase a Kit of 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333Mhz Memory that is on the QVL (qualified Vendor List) and this would allow the memory to run in it's most optimal conifguration, Dual-Channel Mode.

We want QVL memory because that memory would be supported my Intel, and will work without any hiccups. Now granted, RAM is RAM. But let's stick with QVL Certified RAM for the sake of the Intel Forums.

Here is a few options for you

QVL for this motherboard:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dh61ww/sb/CS-032156.htm#tested

Kingston Seems to be on the QVL so lets go with them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104231 (This is performance memory)

And since you like Corsair

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233142

If this answered your question please choose it for the answer! If not, reply and I will try to help you more!

• 2. Re: Upgrading system memory - Intel DH61WW
            pwertz

Hi Wali - I suggest you read paragraph 1.6 and 1.6.1 of the system spec for your board. You can find it here.  http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19711/eng/DH61WW_TechProdSpec03.pdf There are also links in this spec to the Intel tested memory for your board. Your proposed upgrade is possible but it is not the optimum solution. I would recommend you buy a matched pair that meet the specs. Regards. Peter

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Upgrading system memory - Intel DH61WW
              wali

Hi Frank, (Pardon me, I have read your name from left panel)

Thank you for your kind response.

By providing me the complete technical in-depth details of my motherboard and by sharing some very useful links, you have truly made my day! As far as my decision for upgrading is concerned, I think I should go for Kingston 8GB kit to boost up my system speed as its included in Qualified Vendor List (QVL) as well.

As per your request, I have marked your response as "Correct Answer"

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Upgrading system memory - Intel DH61WW
                wali

Hi Peter,

Thank you for helping me out. The link you shared was quite useful.

Based on your recommendation, I will order a matched pair.

As a courtesy, I have marked your response as a "Helpful Answer"