4 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2012 9:32 AM by rclai

Seagate Momentus XT SSHD compatible w/ HM55 Express Chipset?

rclai

I have an HP DV7 CTO 4000 laptop, here are the details:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02666747.pdf

My hard drive is failing (SMART imminent failure) and I was eyeing the Seagate Momentus XT SSHD to replace it, here are the details:

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_momentus_xt_retail.pdf

The PDF of my laptop shows a list of HDD configurations and I'm wondering whether I'm limited to those configurations and would have to order a replacement HDD from HP. I also see that the chipset I have is the HM55 Express Chipset and see that it supports SATA 3 GB/s, which is what the Seagate SSHD is able to support (the newer Momentus XT model is 6 GB/s but is backwards compatible to 3 GB/s).

So if anyone can shed light on whether I can replace my HDD with this one please let me know.

Thanks,

Richard

• 1. Re: Seagate Momentus XT SSHD compatible w/ HM55 Express Chipset?
          Diego_Intel

Hello,

We do not have a compatibility lists on our I/O controllers and hard drives or SSDs.

The only thing that I see is that using a SATA III hard drive into a SATA II system may not be economically efficient, since anyway it will perform as a regular SATA II device, unless you are planning to change your laptop in the future and keep the driver with you.

Other than this, I consider that this should be fine. Try to chekc with Hewlett Packard* to see if that have heard of any compatibility issues being reported on their systems.

• 2. Re: Seagate Momentus XT SSHD compatible w/ HM55 Express Chipset?
            rclai

Okay, that's what I thought.

I was thinking of getting the SATA III one because it has 750 GB of storage. They unfortunately don't have a 750 GB model exclusively just for SATA II, the only SATA II they have is a 500 GB model. But yes, I suppose I could upgrade the motherboard in the future to use its full potential.

I doubt HP will tell me if anyone has had issues with other HDDs not in their list.

• 3. Re: Seagate Momentus XT SSHD compatible w/ HM55 Express Chipset?
              MH1982

I've only heard of Momentus XT drives having problems with Mac notebooks.

Don't worry about what SATA your drive is and the max the drive supports.  I don't think the Momentus XT 2nd gen can saturate SATA II's 300MB/ps bandwidth.  The drive itself will be faster than the older Momentus XT due to basic mechanical improvements etc. on SATA II, probably even SATA I.

• 4. Re: Seagate Momentus XT SSHD compatible w/ HM55 Express Chipset?
                rclai

Just an update that I've installed the hard drive on here and it works like a charm.

The only weird thing that happened was when I first plugged the hard drive in it didn't work.

So then I unplugged the SATA cable from the laptop and plugged it back in and plugged back the hard drive back and then it worked.