4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 9:26 AM by kellermeister@urschler.at

How to shrink logical Drive on RS2BL040

kellermeister@urschler.at

I made an inplace expansion of a productive raid-6 array, swapping 6x400 GB to 6x1 TB.

The reconstruction of the array succeeded without any issues, afterwards I had additional free space available.

Unfortunatly I decided to expand the existing virtual drive, resulting in a drive being greater than 2 TB in size.

The Server 2008 R2 OS on this box can not use more than 2 TB since this is the boot drive. There are 2 partitions, one for the os and one for the data, but of course this doesn't help.

I was searching for a command to reduce the size of the logical drive again, but I couldn'T find any possibility in the raid web console 2 v11.06.

Is there a way to reduce the size in the GUI?

if not: Is there a way to reduce the size in the CLI?

if not: Is there a way to reduce the size in the Raid-BIOS? I didn't risk any downtime yet, so I couldn't check.

If everything fails, I'll have to backup everything, recreate the virtual drives with correct size and restore the machine. Since this involves in moving 700 GB and having a long downtime I'D prefer something else....

thx

br

Gerhard