5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2012 10:11 AM by cub_fan

Migrating 2 disk Raid-0 to 3 disk Raid-5

cub_fan

I added an additional disk of the same size to my array with the intent to migrate to raid-5 from raid-0. However, aftyer a rather lengthy process the migration only increased the size of the volumes in my array. It does not show three volumes and the raid is still at zero. When I view the disk manager it now shows unallocated areas on the two original disks. What did I do wrong. Each disk is 500gb, but my volumes now read 698 & 700.

• 1. Re: Migrating 2 disk Raid-0 to 3 disk Raid-5
          Fred_Intel

Hi,

Not quite sure why you mentioned three volumes, there should be just one volume.

When a RAID 5 is created or migrated it needs to be initialized, this could be the root of the problem.  Bear in mind you can initialize it by going to Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Computer Management>>Disk Management, right click on the volume and then initialize.

Thanks

Fred

• 2. Re: Migrating 2 disk Raid-0 to 3 disk Raid-5
            vladk2k

I'm not sure of the original poster's configuration, but asuming he/she has a single RAID0 volume in an array, I think he/she wants to add another disk, migrate it to raid 5 while preserving the contained information (the RAID5 volume should be the same size as the current RAID0 volume).

cub_fan - can you give us more specific info? What steps did you take when adding the 3rd disk. Did you do anything in the Option ROM (Ctrl+I) menu?

• 3. Re: Migrating 2 disk Raid-0 to 3 disk Raid-5
              cub_fan

I added another disk of equal size to the two already in the raid-0. After migration, it showed the previous disks with added space rather than a third volume.

Attached is a screen shot of how it is now.

Raid SS.jpg

• 4. Re: Migrating 2 disk Raid-0 to 3 disk Raid-5
                vladk2k

From what I can read in the help file (see "Changing volume type"), the process you should have folloed is this:

1. Add disk in computer
                2. Boot into windows
                3. Go to Intel Rapid Storage Technology Application
                4. Click on 2-disk Volume
                5. Click on Manage
                6. Under "Type: RAID0" click Change
                7. Select RAID5 with the new disk

There are 3 problems now:

1. You already included the new disk in the array as RAID0 so removing it will break the array (not sure how you could revert to 2 disks without losing data - I'd look into an external drive to make backup if I were you
                2. I'm not sure if this feature works with Matrix storage (more than 1 volume per array, as is your case)
                3. There are people who are having trouble doing just that - adding disks to the array as RAID5 (option is greyed out)
                • 5. Re: Migrating 2 disk Raid-0 to 3 disk Raid-5
                  cub_fan

That is what I thought was done. When I added the disk and it started migrating I believed all was well. This, however was the result.