1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 12:42 AM by alwintom

DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature

alwintom

Hi,

I have been using a DG35EC+Q9550 for over 3 years. From the first day itself, I noticed that the CPU is running aa bit hot. But I contacted intel suport and they said if no alarms are triggered, it is going to be OK. So I have been using the system without worrying.

But recently, while playing some games, the PC auto-poweroff a few times (1 or 2 times a day). At first I thought it was some game bug. But a few weeks ago, I tried to see if thats the case. I used several monitoring programs (HWInfo, SpeedFAN, HWMonitor..) to monitor temperature and fan speeds.

To my great discomfort, I noticed that my cores are running at 65-75C at idle (ie in Windwos desktop w/o additonal apps). When gaming (Assassins Creed Revelations), it reaches 99C and even reaches 100C. Then I looked at the fan speeds, but fan is still running at a mere 1048 RPM even though the temperature was at 80-99C!

So I thought maybe the the HSF(Stock cooler that comes with Q9550) is not in contatc with CPU. So I removed it, cleaned and put it back again with some fresh thermal paste (Coolermastre Thermal Fusion 400). This changed things slightly at idle. Idle temps now dropped to 60-70C. But no change when the CPU is stressed. What worries me most is that the fan is not running at 100%. I tried to see if I can manually set the fan to run at 100%, but found no way.

However, yesterday, HWMonitor reported that fan is running at 2800 RPM (but temp was below 60C) and stayed at that until I shutdown. But after that I turned on the PC but the Fan never exeeded 1400 after that (eventhough CPU temp reached well above 90C)

So I thought may be the temp sensor is wrong. So I removed the Cabin covrer and touched on the HSF Heat Sink and it nearly burned my hand. The Heat Sink was extremely hot. So the sensors must be telling the truth.

Now can you tell me where the problem to lie most likely - The HSF, Mothreboard? BTW, I have the latest BIOS and Chipset drivers.

I have an Asus GTX 570 DirecCu and two HDDS. At idle all of them satys well below 45 and at full load the Asus Card reaches 70-79 .

I do not undrestand this. If the CPU was really taht hot, why didn't the system auto-shutdown.. and how was I able to use the system for ll these 3 yaers without actually burning anything.?

Can anyone here help me identify the problem. I am willing the replace the faulty component, but hI do not know where the fault is.

Please help.

Here is a screenshot from HWMonitor
      sensor.png

• 1. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
          Flying_Kiwi

Your CPU is approved for use on that board as long as you have at least BIOS rev 0107 . Normally I'd suggest trying Intel Desktop Utilities for 3 series boards but I see on the bottom of the page that your board model isn't listed as being compatible with that software. If your board has a section in the BIOS where you can monitor temps, fan speeds and voltages, how is it all looking there? Given the age of the PC I suspect it may be in need of a good clean out/clearing dust from components. If you have another PSU (that's the bit that most commonly fails in elderly PCs), it'd also be worth trialling that to see if it makes a difference - don't go buying one on the off chance though without having the existing PSU carefully tested first to ascertain if it is in fact faulty.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
            alwintom

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried two different PSUs in this system. Until 4 months ago, I have been using a Coolermaster ExtremePower 600W. Then I changed to a Corsair HX 850W (i needed this for my Asus Card). The temperature and the general behaviour are same on both PSUs. BTW, my current BIOS version is ECG3510M.86A.0118.2010.0113.1426 . I usually clean the system every 3 months. I last cleaned 2 weeks ago. I don't think my PSU is faulty becuase all the other components (Graphics card, HDDs,..) are workng fine. Both PSUs support ATX standard.

Yesterday, right after a 3 hour gaming session, I cheked the CPU temps with HWMonitor and CoreTemp, and two cores showed negetive temperature readings(-20C). I belieave this is a rounding error.

In checked temperature readings in BIOS. If I keep my PC off for a few hours and then turn it on, the reading are from 35 to 37 (It does not vary too much) and fan speed at about 1400-1800 RPM. But if I check it immediately after shutting down the PC after a few hours light load (web browsing), the temps usually is within 54-65 with fan RPM at 2800. It seems the fan RPM is reported correctly in the BIOS> However once I log into Windwos, the RPM usually drops to 1400-1800 eventhough the tempeature is rising.

Whatsthe worst that could happen? Will this problem cuase damage to other components (like Graphics Card, RAM, HDDs..). I a worried becuase I just baught this Gfx Card a few months ago. If othre components are safe, then I am not worried that much. Its an old PC and I am planning to get a new one before 2013.

Anyway thanks for the reply

• 3. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
              Flying_Kiwi

So if I understand you correctly your BIOS shows normal temps and fan speeds and its only in the third party monitoring software that you're getting erroneous readings and your CPU is turning into a peltier/refrigeration unit with

Under the circumstances where you are most concerned about heat, reboot the PC and check out the BIOS values again. BIOS values *mostly* don't lie, thrid party software on the other hand often has a hard job being fully compatible with all the different hardware out there. I hope this gives you some assurance.

• 4. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
                alwintom

I have seen temps above 65C even in BIOS. When I am in BIOS, the CPU is at almost 0 load. So I expected a temperature below 45. Anyway it looks like the readings from third party apps might be incorrect. But I still am worried about the fact that, when I touched the heat-sink with my hand, it nearly burned my hand (almost felt like a 100C ).

Still I think, I will try to re-seat the cooler once again and let it run as long as I can.

BTW, suppose there is a fault, which component could it be - HSF or Motherboard ?

• 5. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
                  Flying_Kiwi

alwintom wrote:

But I still am worried about the fact that, when I touched the heat-sink with my hand, it nearly burned my hand (almost felt like a 100C ).

Thats exactly the time when you need to check what the BIOS is saying the temp is (and 65 degrees is not a problem - if you check your CPU specs on Intels website, it'll tell you just how hot it can get without causing damage. If the third party software is saying your CPU is -20 degrees at times, thats pretty clear to me your third party software is experiencing problems.

If you do power it off fully and take the HSF off again, make sure you only put a thin coating of heat transfer paste on the cooler or CPU contact face as using to much can be problematic. You've covered all the other likely suspects such as dust build up etc. Have a read of your motherboard manual to see how your board behaves if there is a CPU overheat scenario because there may be a log in the BIOS of any such incidents - if this is the case and you find the log is empty then you know theres no overheating going on. How long since you reformatted and performed a fresh install using the original CDROMs/media etc?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
                    alwintom

Last time when my HSF Heatsink gto really hot (to the point of buring your fingers), I restarted and looked in the BIOS monitor. It reported a temp of 71 and climbed down to 65.

Well its been about a year sicne I formatted my system. I did not feel the need for a fresh installation of windows (everything is still working fine - which is very strange tome becuase usualy, I had to reformat every 3-4 months ).

When I first built this PC, I got a faulty CPU fan (it was the wrong model). I had several auto-system shutdowns when I used that Fan (usualy within 5-10 minutes after Windows is loaded). When I turn on the PC next time, I could hear a long Beep and the POST will display a message saying 'System was shutdown due to overheating'). After I changed the fan, I never encountered this (even if PC auto-shutdown under very hevy load - probably due to application/windows bugs)>

BTW, how can I check the BIOS log. I did not find a way to do this.

• 7. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
                      Flying_Kiwi

alwintom wrote:

When I first built this PC, I got a faulty CPU fan (it was the wrong model). I had several auto-system shutdowns when I used that Fan (usualy within 5-10 minutes after Windows is loaded). When I turn on the PC next time, I could hear a long Beep and the POST will display a message saying 'System was shutdown due to overheating'). After I changed the fan, I never encountered this (even if PC auto-shutdown under very hevy load - probably due to application/windows bugs)>

BTW, how can I check the BIOS log. I did not find a way to do this.

For the first para - since you are no longer getting this problem, your system doesn't seem to be overheating.

Second - check your motherboards manual (or download it from Intels website if needed). Only some Intel boards have this facility eg my DG45ID but given your boards BIOS reports overheat incidences as you've described above and this hasn't happened recently, putting 2 and 2 together I deduce your problems are not as a result of overheating - hence why I suggested you consider a fresh install with the latest drivers for your OS. If you are worried about high temps reported in your system monitoring software, the solution in this case is simple - do not install that software again and let the motherboard take care of itself (as it has in the past).

• 9. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
                        alwintom

Finally I found the issue.

The monitoring tools were telling the truth. The CPU temperature actually reached more than 100C. Still the fan ran below 2000 RPM.

For some reason, my motherboard fails to run the fan at more than the speed it runs at system startup. ie If I turn-on the system in the morning, the CPU is very cool (less than 35C) and the fan runs at 1042RPM. But once the system is ON, the motherboard will not let the fan go above 1042RPM even if the CPU is red hot.

To test this, I logged-into windows and played Crysis 2 for an hour. The Monitoring tools reported CPU temps above 98C. The I quit the game, and hard reset the PC. At reboot, the fan suddenly started roaring and in the BIOS it reported more  than 4000RPM and CPU temp was 95C. But afterwards, the fan slowed down to 2400RPM and CPU temps also came down. I played Crysis 2 again and this time the Fan responded well to CPU temperature changes and kept it below 83C ( I know its still too hot but better than before)

So it looks like my Motherboard will not run the fan at a higher speed than it was running at system startup. So now when start the PC, I enter into BIOS and let it run for 10 minutes so the CPU temps can rise. Then I restart and continue as normal. So far this is working.

• 10. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
                          Flying_Kiwi

Only telling the truth sometimes I propose (unless that -20 degrees from your software refers to the time you ran your PC in Antarctica). It appears that the motherboard simply isn't telling the HSF to speed up when it should be and if there are no configurable settings in the BIOS to alter this, there's not much else you can do - besides, loading BIOS default values should provide a solution which fully takes care of itself. It appears you've already tried all the things I can think of trying so maybe someone else can chip in with ideas.

[Edited to remove suggesting things that have already been tried/implemented]

• 11. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
                            stephenb.b.r

It hasn't occurred to you to get a new fan (Heat sink & Fan), i used to have a board like this back in 2008 - Jan 2009 I sold it to a friend, works till this very day, this kind of problem i encountered at the office with different motherboards so what i did was buy new cooling for the motherboards (Heat Sink & Fan) which comes together anyway and they work till this very day, so change your cooling..

• 12. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
                              alwintom

stephenb.b.r wrote:

It hasn't occurred to you to get a new fan (Heat sink & Fan), i used to have a board like this back in 2008 - Jan 2009 I sold it to a friend, works till this very day, this kind of problem i encountered at the office with different motherboards so what i did was buy new cooling for the motherboards (Heat Sink & Fan) which comes together anyway and they work till this very day, so change your cooling..

Yes I tried that too. But did not do any good. And I am thinking about getting rid of the motherboard itself. hehe

• 13. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
                                Flying_Kiwi

Yes that CPU, HSF and your DIMMs will fit plenty of other, better motherboards and given socket 775 boards are considered old technology in most parts of the world, the price should be sweet.

It does have me wondering what bought this problem on though.... Things like this just dont come out of the blue and if you can think of precisely when the overheating problems first appeared (the transition from just a hot running PC to an overheating PC), that may give some clues as to the cause. If its that you simply weren't tasking the PC enough earlier on to really stretch its legs and make it work hard, then it does sound like a defective motherboard.

• 14. Re: DG35EC + Q9550 Problem with CPU Fan and Temperature
                                  alwintom

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

Yes that CPU, HSF and your DIMMs will fit plenty of other, better motherboards and given socket 775 boards are considered old technology in most parts of the world, the price should be sweet.

It does have me wondering what bought this problem on though.... Things like this just dont come out of the blue and if you can think of precisely when the overheating problems first appeared (the transition from just a hot running PC to an overheating PC), that may give some clues as to the cause. If its that you simply weren't tasking the PC enough earlier on to really stretch its legs and make it work hard, then it does sound like a defective motherboard.

I don't really know when this problem started. But noticed it when I first installed a monitoring app. That was a couple of years ago. I had a traumatic experience with this system. Anyway I will explain the hsitory of my system.

1. Initially the system used a DG33FB motherboard with an Intel Core2 Duo (do not remember which number). Although I ordered a q9550, due to lack of stock, the retailer sent me these for temporary use.

2. I got my Q9550, Anyway to not void my warranty (for the system), I let the technician install it. He mistakingly installed the Fan that came with the Dual core. So now the system runs on Q9550+DG33FB+Core2Duo fan

3. The system performed without any issue for a week. I kept calling the retailer about the motherboard and asked them for DG35EC - which is what I ordered.

4. Suddenly they realises that they put the wron fan. They comes back with the right fan.

5. However after they put the right fan, my system starts to shutdown after 10 minutes. When I reboot, I get the message 'System was shutdown due to overheating'

6. Finally they bring the DG35EC. So now I have DG35EC+Q9550+The correct fan.

7. I noticed the high CPU temperatures I get after a reboot. contacted intel support and they said its fine.

8. The system continues to work fine for more than a year.

9. I installed CPUZ tool. And thats the first time I notice the extremely high CPU temperatures and slow fan speed.

10. Tried an aftermarket cooler which my friend was using (he also had a Q9550). Still fan speed very low.

11. I posted this thread.

1 2 Previous Next