Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Hard Drive takes a wandering journey. Can it come home?

idata
Employee

System consists of

Windows XP sp2

4 SATA HD sorted into 2 HD using RAID 5 ( I used the second drive( 2 actual drives in a Raid 5 config) for media storage.

This actually the second time since I started using Raid 5 one year ago. The first time the second drive reported a failure not missing and I was able to back up before it failed.

Right now in Window it is reporting a missing drive in Array 001, I guess this should be Port 5.

Under that it states a new entry, Non-Raid Hard Drives and it is showing a Port 5 and an ID number.

So it appears the Hard drive is alive and well. Can it be added back to its former Raid Home? I don't have a back up and really can't stand to lose this media.

Is this an indication of me doing something wrong or am I just having bad luck with hard drives?

If you're wondering why I use Raid 5, it came with my motherboard and I thought it would be faster. I edit video on this machine and from what I could detect Raid 5 was the best bet, I'm not so sure now.

0 Kudos
0 Replies