2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 8:37 AM by LarryDavid

Information on Intel 520 SSD drives and encryption

LarryDavid

Hi there everyone.

I have some questions about the encryption on the 520 models.  I have tried to find this out via the usual Google/search channels but information on the encryption seems very hard to find (I can't even find a user guide for these drives?).
      We are currently using HP Elitebook 8440p's with standard drives on Win 7 64 bit.  Mostly for dev work, so we do a fair bit of disk crunching.  So a move to SSD would be great.  We also currently use Bitlocker with a TPM boot password for encryption.
      My main interest with the 520 was with the built in encryption, which would allow us to not need bitlocker anymore (right?) as I have read that software based full disk encryption will kill quite a bit of the speed adavantage from an SSD, as well as pretty much nullifying wear levelling algorithms.
      The questions I need answered (before I can get management to pay out for one) are:
      - Can you move the disk to another workstation and still be able to read it in the event of a laptop hardware failure?  With bitlocker and TPM you would just need to enter the key manually to gain access.  Is it a similar situation with the built in encryption on a 520?
      - What exactly is the BIOS requirement for the encryption (I believe it requires a BIOS password of some kind?).  There is a 'drivelock' option in the BIOS, is that it?
      FYI theres no high level security requriements for us, its not government or defence work or anything like that.  Its just a 'belt and braces' type approach for carrying a works laptop around.
      Thanks for any help.  I apologise if this information is available elsewhere, but I really can't seem to find it.