1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 16, 2009 2:28 PM by Aryan2411

Windows server 2003 on intel S3200SHV

I hope this is the right area for asking this question.  If it is not please feel free to redirect me.

I have just purchased an Intel S3200SHV motherboard and am trying to install Windows Server 2003 R2.  I have found out that installing with the Intel Matrix Raid enabled caused a blue screen just as the windows installer finishes loading drivers and going to the initial install greeting page.  The best reason I can find for this is in a spec update pdf from intel with the following information

22. Stop error 0x7B observed while installing Microsoft Windows
         2003 Enterprise Server* using AXXSATADVDRWROM (firmware
         version UO00, September 2007).
      Problem     Stop 0x0000007B (Inaccessible Boot Device) BSOD message observed while
                  loading Microsoft Windows 2003 Enterprise Server* in RAID mode (0, 1, 5)
                  using AXXSATADVDRWROM.
      Implication Microsoft Windows 2003 Enterprise Server* cannot be installed by a user in
                  any of the supported RAID modes.
      Enterprise Platforms and Services Marketing                       Monthly Specification Update
      Status            The current DVDRWROM drive firmware, version UO00, has been determined
                        to be corrupted.
      Workaround        Download DVDRWROM firmware update pack from the following link:
                        Then update the DVDRWROM firmware.

I have updated the DVD firmware and have tried to follow its instructions however the firmware detection and write fails and I am back to square one.  I am hoping that someone here is able to help out.  I waited 7 weeks to get this board for a client after being promised the board in 2 weeks and now I look like a fool because I can not install an OS onto it.

Thanks for any responses.

• 1. Re: Windows server 2003 on intel S3200SHV

Hi Terry,

First thing that i will do before installing the OS is the update all the firmware on board BIOS 45, BMC 31 & SDR 13 correctly to the latest one.
          Read the read me file how to do it. If not sure, dont do it now.

I will connect all my sata dvd to the last sata port on the motherboard.
          If i have 3 hard drives and 1 dvd rom, it should as follows:
          1st HDD on the SATA Port 0
          2nd HDD on the SATA Port 1
          3rd HDD on the SATA Port 2

DVD Drive on the SATA Port 5

Then i will set these options in the bios:
          Configure SATA as RAID
          SATA Raid Oprom Intel Matrix

Then i will create my raid using Ctrl + I to enter the Intel Matrix Raid

If you have an internal floppy disk drive on the system, then it will be even easier.

Download the F6 driver for the Intel Matrix Raid on to the a formatted floppy disk

Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2869&DwnldID=16098&strOSs=84&OSFullName=Windows%20Server*%202003&lang=eng

Insert the OS cd on the system, press F6 to load the Intel Matrix Raid Driver.
          Press S to Specify the location of the driver
          It should be from the floppy disk.
          Then continue to the OS installation.
          Install the chipset driver and all other drivers and Intel Storage Matrix Manager.

Now if your system does not come with an internal floppy disk drive, use a software to slipstream the driver and thus creating a new OS already integrated with the F6 drivers. Make a new Bootable ISO image and burn it on a CD.
          Software like Nlite allows you to do this.

If you want to use LSI to make your raid, then the F6 driver will be SATA & SAS Software RAID Driver for Windows.
          Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2869&DwnldID=16995&strOSs=84&OSFullName=Windows%20Server*%202003&lang=eng

The LSI and Intel Matrix are two different onboard raid controllers.

Note: Windows Vista and Windows 2008 should already have the drivers in the OS.

Other than this, i dont have any suggestions. Hope that this helps.