5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 1:03 PM by vbaderks

Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Intel software (post here)

rseiler

Could this thread perhaps serve as a clearinghouse for issues?  Here's mine:

The latest Intel Desktop Utilities (3.2) don't appear to work. It appears on the tray, and when you double-click it the window opens, but you never actually see any of the screens because an animated graphic just spins and spins indefinitely, as if it's trying to refresh the data but not quite getting there. Uninstalling/reinstalling it doesn't help.

• 1. Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Intel software (post here)
          vbaderks

I am running Windows 8 CP x64 fine on my DZ68BC. Besides Win8 I installed:

- Latest Intel inf chipset driver files

- Latest Intel Rapid Storage driver

I didn't install the Intel Desktop Utilities (IDU) as there some post on this forum that there are some glitches with it. I am waiting for an update of the IDU before doing a retry.

• 2. Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Intel software (post here)
            rseiler

Since you mention INF, it sounds like you did a clean install (I did an upgrade). Could you do me a favor and check your System log?  Do you see Error 50 "Delayed Write Failed" warnings in there related to NTFS?  Several hours after upgrading (from Win7, same MB as you), I started getting a handful of those a day. None before, so I tend not to believe they're important, and I'm guessing they're either a Win8-induced thing in general or an upgrade thing. I'm asking around to see how common they might be. The RST still looks good here (no need  for me to reinstall it).

• 3. Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Intel software (post here)
              rseiler

Of note: the driver that's pushed to you by MS during W8 installation, at least for the HD 3000, is indeed an Intel driver but it's not one that supports OpenGL. So if you have critical business apps that rely upon it, such as Angry Birds, you might thing twice about W8. Getting the current downloadable W7 graphics driver working apparently isn't easy.

It would be nice to know when Intel is going to put out a fully-functioning prerelease driver for W8 akin to what AMD did for their line.

• 4. Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Intel software (post here)
                vbaderks

I did a clean install. There are a lot of warnings\errors in the event log (actually more then with Win8 Developer preview) but I haven't seen ntfs warning 50.

And while I have a 2600K I am using a AMD 67xx video card. The standard driver included with Win8 didn't have openGL support (which is a problem for Minecraft :-)), but there are beta drivers for win8 that work fine.

• 5. Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Intel software (post here)
                  vbaderks

Just tested IDU_3.2.4.055b on Windows 8 x64 RTM and I am seeing the same spinning "wait" logo when starting IDU