6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 7:18 AM by sparkie

Can one install 64Bit OS on DN2800MT?

mkaturagi

Hello!

Is it possible to install 64bit OS(ex Win7x64,WHS2011) on DN2800MT?

DN2800MT is not support 64bit OS.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-008326.htm

Now, I have a D510MO. D510MO is not support 64bit OS too.

But it is possible to install WHS2011(64bit OS).

Thanks.

Minoru.

• 1. Re: Can one install 64Bit OS on DN2800MT?
          elbman

Hello,

you can install it, but there are no drivers (graphics and chipset) available.

Thats why i had to switch to 32bit ;-(

with 4GB Ram ;-(

Hope they'll release 64bit drivers in the near future...

Nevertheless a great board running with an OCZ Nocti 30GB ;-)

elbman

• 2. Re: Can one install 64Bit OS on DN2800MT?
            elantm

Not sure it is only a drivers issue. Could need a BIOS update. Tried to install W2008 server 64 bits & failed before having the opportunity to update any driver...

• 3. Re: Can one install 64Bit OS on DN2800MT?
              powerarmour

On most 3rd party Cedar Trail motherboards it seems the board partners have chosen not to enable 64bit support due to the fact that the PowerVR drivers aren't available and that this will save a bit of customer support headache in the short term...

Obviously negating the fact that it's killing the option of running these as a low power/fanless 64bit thin client server, NAS, SME server etc, which the boards are almost perfect for, but maybe that's intentional also...

The CPU is 64bit capable, so all board BIOS's should enable it also, to disable it just for the sake of the GPU driver capability in Windows is like cutting off noses to spite faces IMHO. But as far as I'm aware, all the Intel desktop Cedar Trail boards (including the DN2800MT) leave the 64bit flag enabled, so in theory there shouldn't be anything stopping anyone from installing a 64bit OS if they choose, just don't expect a 64bit GPU driver anytime soon (if at all).

• 4. Re: Can one install 64Bit OS on DN2800MT?
                sparkie

[quote]Obviously negating the fact that it's killing the option of running these as a low power/fanless 64bit thin client server, NAS, SME server etc, which the boards are almost perfect for,[/quote]

just use some Linux of your choice and you will have all you need to build an 64bit thin client/server :-)

- sparkie

• 5. Re: Can one install 64Bit OS on DN2800MT?
                  powerarmour

sparkie wrote:

just use some Linux of your choice and you will have all you need to build an 64bit thin client/server :-)

Erm, not on my Cedar Trail motherboard I can't (ASRock AD2700-ITX), because they've disabled 64bit in the BIOS...

At least the Intel 1st party boards seem to leave the flag enabled though.

• 6. Re: Can one install 64Bit OS on DN2800MT?
                    sparkie

[quote]At least the Intel 1st party boards seem to leave the flag enabled though[/quote]

sure, I thought we are talking about an DN2800MT

- sparkie