5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 8:39 PM by Silverfox11407

Recovery Bios Update for DZ68BC

Silverfox11407

Could someone tell me if the below Recovery Bios Update for the DZ68BC motherboard is a " Bootable Image File " that can be created on a CD disk ?

Or is it simply copied on a CD, placed in the rom drive and then the user reboot`s the pc ?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20538&ProdId=3381&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=

I want to make the Recovery Bios method available to me in case i ever need it in the future and the above Intel link merely states to copy it to a floppy or a CD and dont mention if it needs to be a bootable disk. I am aware the user has to remove the jumper on the MB before powering back up using this Recovery method.

Regards, Ron

• 1. Re: Recovery Bios Update for DZ68BC
          fsofos

No it is not bootable cd-rom iso. Intel stop providing iso images of new Bios update files sometime last year....

With the recovery bios you 're copying the file into the root directory of a usb flash disk and upon reboot you are pressing F7 to go to update bios mode. Next you are selecting the bios file to update to and you are flashing with it.

That's all.

• 2. Re: Recovery Bios Update for DZ68BC
            Silverfox11407

According to the Intel guideline link i posted above my question was not concerning using the Bios F7 update procedure you have described which i realize can be done with a USB flashdrive.

Im speaking strictly about the Bios Recovery method described in the above link guideline which clearly states either to use a floppy diskette or a CD. Thats the purpose of my question in regards to if the Bios Recovery method file is a image file that needs to be burned as a bootable CD.

Regards,

• 3. Re: Recovery Bios Update for DZ68BC
              pwertz

Silverfox - Take a look at the last table in this article .  http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm    It implies you can make a bootable CD to use to recover the BIOS. Regards. Peter

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Recovery Bios Update for DZ68BC
                AlanScott1

Ron,

The recovery process using motherboard jumper and CD does not need a bootable CD.  The .BIO file (bios image) just needs to be in the root folder of the CD.  Here are the Intel instructions for BIOS recovery using CD and jumper:

Recovery with CD-ROM

Use this method if the recovery file (*.BIO) is too large to fit on a floppy disk or if the desktop board does not include floppy drive support.

1. Copy the recovery file (*.bio) to a CD.

2. Place the CD in the CD-ROM drive of the target system.

3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.

4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.

5. Power the system on.

6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete.

7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the system.

8. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.

9. Restart system.

The only things I would add to Intel instructions:

In step 3 - After unplugging AC power, WAIT for all lights on board to extinguish before moving the jumper.

In step 8 - Unplug power, WAIT for all lights to extinguish, then replace the jumper.

• 5. Re: Recovery Bios Update for DZ68BC
                  Silverfox11407

Alan, Thanks for an informative reply. I had seen and read the guidelines you posted but just wanted to make sure and your Intel steps and the post with the link above yours clears up any confusion i might have had.

Regards & Thanks, Ron