Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Question about what type of router to use with a intel(r) 82567lm-3 gigabit network connection

idata
Employee

I just purchased a Lenovo ThinkCentre with Windows 7 Home Premium it tells me it has a intel(r) 82567lm-3 gigabit network connection. I currently have a Linksys Wireless G 802.11G Wireless Router With Speedboaster that I had been using for the last several years and I love it. I got rid of my 15 year old Dell Desktop cause it was a POS. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop that I use for myself. The new desktop is my mothers purchase and my Inspiron 1525 Laptop I use the wifi off the Linksys Wirelss G Router. My Inspiron 1525 says it has a Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card in it. I just set up the new desktop and it works great but my only problem it is not showing my Linksys Wireless G Router as a wifi connection and I'm not sure why. This is where I need help. The only way I can connect to the internet on the new desktop is by running a wired connection from the router to the CPU Unit. So I need to know if I'm doing something wrong here or goes the Linksys Wireless G Router I have not compatible with my new Lenovo ThinkCentre with Windows 7 Home Premium With Intel(r) 82567lm-3 gigabit network connection? And if it is not compatible with the router what kind of router do I need to get that will work with my new desktop but also work so I can access Wifi on my Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop with Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card in it? Thank you for all the help anyone can give me.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello dstrycharz,

When you go to "Device Manager' and look under "Network Adapters", is the Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit network Connection the only adapter you see on the list?

Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit network Connection is not capable of connecting "Wirelessly", as this interface has an RJ45 port for cable.

If so, this can indicate that the "Lenovo ThinkCentre" would only have a wired connection, not a wireless device that can pickup the broadcasted signals from the router. The only way you would get internet connectivity would be using the wired connection directly to the modem or router.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

0 Kudos