2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2012 8:47 PM by l.breyers

Moved RAID 5 array to new board - now some drives 'non-RAID'

focb

Hi there,

I recently moved my RAID 5 array from a P55-based board to a Z68-based board.

I had read the documentation which assured me that if I was moving from one Intel RST-based board to another which both supported RAID 5 that the drives would be detected and the array would work.

Now, however, 2 of the 4 disks show up as 'non-RAID' and two show up as member disks.

If I swap cables around then some of the drives will stop showing as members, and some will start showing as members. 

Not sure what is going on here.  I understood that the order of the disks is not important?  For example, on my other machine, which has a 3-disk RAID 5 array, I can swap around cables between the drives (and even substitute one from the optical drive) and all works fine and is detected normally.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

• 1. Re: Moved RAID 5 array to new board - now some drives 'non-RAID'
          focb

For the record, I realise I can probably re-create the RAID by setting all disks to non-RAID then setting it up as a new RAID with same settings etc... then recover the partition via alternate methods.

Drive order is going to be a pain though... no idea... new board as well so port allocation probably matters.

4 drives - 24 possible combinations!

What worries me is that from reading on the web this seems to be a common problem... would it be fair to say that IRST is not exactly stable?

Why would a BIOS reset, for example, erase metadata on disks?  As long as the BIOS is set to RAID it should not have any impact...

• 2. Re: Moved RAID 5 array to new board - now some drives 'non-RAID'
            l.breyers

Sorry, looks like intel's shitware only works so long as you never ever change anything after you make your raid. Same thing happened to me with my raid 10, it was just a small bios setting, check your new board and see if the drive settings are in raid mode or if their in ahci (if so then thats what fuxked it).