9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2012 9:48 AM by leqid

DZ68BC won't post - request verification of test bench method

leqid

Hi All:

Just got a new DZ68BC. The board won't POST. Instead, the onboard Power and Reset buttons just flash.

I've tried many combinations of memory and CPU installed and not installed. A new power supply POSTs another motherboard.

Also, removed CMOS battery overnight.

Final test was attempting to power up just motherboard, no CPU or memory installed.

Question: Will this motherboard-only test work?

I was expecting to have the power supply fan start, and get at least some POST code on the LED.

CPU is Intel Core i3-2100. Power supply is Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W. Memory is G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL.

-

On the underside of the board, there are several large patches of a semi-transparent residue of some kind. Never seen anything like this before on a new PC board. Looks like a component leaked, but I can't find any capacitors or other components that look suspect.

Also, several of the blue CPU cooling fins were bent, and the blue anodizing was scraped off. This would seem to indicate rough handling somewhere along the way before I got the board.

Thank you in advance for any help offered!

• 1. Re: DZ68BC won't post - request verification of test bench method
          AlanScott1

This is a long shot...  Do you have anything connected to the power supply other than the motherboard?  (i.e., case fans, drives, etc?)   I had a problem that sounds like what you are describing.  I would hit the power button, a couple board lights and the CPU fan would come on for 1/2 second or less, then everything powered down again.

That problem was turned out to be a shorted wire on one of the case fans.  Apparently the PSU detected the short and just "shut down" a moment after powering up each time.

Sorry, don't have an answer regarding whether the board will do anything without processor installed.  Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

• 2. Re: DZ68BC won't post - request verification of test bench method
            leqid

Hey Alan:

Thank you for your reply!

I don't have anything else connected to the power supply. Motherboard power and processor power connectors only. Unfortunately, I don't even get the power supply fan. Nothing but the two flashing button-lights on the mobo.

• 3. Re: DZ68BC won't post - request verification of test bench method
              AlanScott1

Are you sure the board isn't shorted to the case?  Check the case stand-offs, or just lay the board on some cardboard and try power-up there.  With the processor and heat sync installed, and no memory installed, and power connected (24pin and 8pin, make sure all connectors are seated fully), then it should at least power up and stay powered (with an error indicating no memory).

If the standoffs aren't the problem, then what you describe sounds to me like a bad board or a bad power supply.  I know you checked the power supply on another board, but if it wasn't a DZ68BC then power requirements could be different.  Any way you can get/borrow another power supply to test the board?

Does the retailer from which you purchased the board allow return/exchange?  The condition issues you mention (banged up VR fins, goo on the back) should warrant an exchange.  And that would eliminate the board as the issue -- if the new one doesn't work either, then again I would suspect the power supply.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DZ68BC won't post - request verification of test bench method
                leqid

Hi again, Alan:

Thank you for sticking with my question.

Both power connectors were connected and dis-connected several times during troubleshooting. They were both fully seated for last test.

That final, motherboard-only test was done on my test bench on a piece of foam.

Board has been packed for RMA.

I'd still like to know if the no-processor no-memory board will POST or do anything interesting. Will try to post back here after the replacement board comes.

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: DZ68BC won't post - request verification of test bench method
                  cowbawx

I believe the issue that we are both (and many others) are suffering from is this:

http://communities.intel.com/message/149855

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: DZ68BC won't post - request verification of test bench method
                    leqid

Hey cowbawx,

Thank you for the tip! I wish my board had even gotten as far as fans spinning like the folks in that thread. I just got nada. Board is in the mail now.

Good luck with solving your issue!

• 7. Re: DZ68BC won't post - request verification of test bench method
                      Nygaard

I just ran across your post here. I was having almost the same exact problems! My motherboard would not post, it wouldn't do ANYHTING. The reset button would be green, and the power button would be red and that was it! no fan spin, no debug code light. Nothing. I called intel and got a few ideas to try out. I switched power supplies, i took out/unplugged everything. Including the memory. Still i got nothing. When i tured the motherboard over to give it a good inspection i noticed the same tansparent uhh liquid? some type of residue all over the bottom of it. I bought it through amazon and was able to return it for a refund but they were out of stock so now im waiting another couple of weeks a refund.

• 8. Re: DZ68BC won't post - request verification of test bench method
                        leqid

Hey! I'm sorry to hear about your problem too, but glad in a way... misery loves company. Sounds like a bad day at the factory, and a possible run of bad boards: a reviewer on newegg not too long ago claimed two RMAs of this board.

I've always bought asus boards, and have two now that have run almost 24/7 for years. I think I jinxed myself with my first, and possibly last, intel board. (To be fair, the technology of the current intel board is quite a bit more advanced.)

Hope your get your refund--and another board--quickly.

• 9. Re: DZ68BC won't post - request verification of test bench method
                          leqid

And now with a new, working DZ68BC motherboard, I can finally answer this question:

When the bare motherboard is powered up.... absolutely nothing happens. No beeps, no fans, no POST codes on the LED.

-

<rant>

"Intel Support Community - Working together to share thoughts, ideas, and solutions"

Yeah, right.

There's interest in this topic, judging by the ~1200 views of the post. It would have been easy for someone from Intel to answer this question weeks ago. But Intel is getting free customer service from the community, so why should they care and deign to help one "little guy."

Like the DOA board, my new board also has the strange clearish residue all over the bottom, also has some bent fins on the blue processor heat sink... and this one has bonus smudgy fingerprints all over the silver parts.

This whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. No matter how stable the board actually turns out to be, I have little confidence in it. Last Intel board ever.

Thank you for YOUR support, community. Thanks for nothing, Intel.

</rant>