7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2012 10:07 AM by mechbob

Question about the Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), and possibly related issues

BillinVA

I have an Intel DX58SO2 board with an i7 960 processor in a Win7-64 PC I built in April of 2011.  I still have the BIOS 779 installed, since I did not have any issues I could see related to that version and I read too many posts here about bricking systems on the DX58SO2 boards.  I had originally installed the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, the Intel Desktop Utilities and other items from the CD that came with the board.  All have been kept updated.

In the Windows Action Center, it has shown that the PerfTuneService of the XTU has stopped working very soon after every reboot.  The only thing I used the XTU for was to change the fan profiles in the BIOS to ramp up quicker.

Initially I had 6 sticks of 2GB (12GB total) of Corsair memory in the system.  I was unable to use any of the XMP profiles as it said they were not a match (all sticks had some part number and manufacture dates) and had it at the standard 1066 speed with the 1.5 voltage.  This setup tended to get a high IOH temp in the 50s C, during normal use (reason for faster fan rampups).  I did not do any other overclocking.

I then bought three 4GB sticks of 12GB of Kingston memory PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM, as I had read that filling all the slots could be part of the higher IOH temps.  One the Kingston was installed, I was able to set the XMP profiles at XMP 1600, which gave a voltage of 1.65.  The IOH temp was lower even with the 1600 speed never getting over 56C even during hard gaming and video conversions.

Later after a series of freezes, usually in IE9, that first locked the keyboard and then the mouse, and finally the  PC, requiring a hard reboot (but never gave any log or error dump), I took the memory down to 1066.  The freezes became less frequent, but continued intermittently.  I now believe that the freezes were actually Adobe Flash related as all my other IE9 ‘stopped working’ errors were Flash related.

After a reset reboot, I would get the Windows was not shut down down properly warning, but the keyboard was not usable.  If I had done a hard reboot using the on/off switch, the keyboard was usable.

Questions:

Is there any problem removing XTU?  Since the original was installed at the first configuration and the version has not changed, would reinstallation be a good option to see if the 'stopped working' error persists?

As there is now a BIOS 0888 which based on posting (or lack of) seems to update OK, does updating to that version seem advisable for any of the issues posted here?  I have had no USB issues except after the reset reboot on the freezes.  My last BIOS update, (at build completion) was using the Windows updater with the OS and all the peripherals in the system and was flawless.

Thanks

Intel DX58SO2 - BIOS 0779 v. AAG10925-205

i7-960 w/stock cooler

12 GB Ram

2 WD 1TB SATA3 HDD

TSST DVD-RW combo SATA

nVidia GTX 560Ti 1024MB

Thermaltake V9 case

• 1. Re: Question about the Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), add info
          BillinVA

Hopefully this may help.  Bill

Description

Stopped working

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Intel Extreme Tuning Utility\PerfTuneService.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: perftuneservice.exe

Problem Signature 02: 2.1.411.19

Problem Signature 03: 4ced7080

Problem Signature 04: System.Management

Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 4ca2baf0

Problem Signature 07: e0

Problem Signature 08: 3f

Problem Signature 09: System.Management.Management

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 1630947508

• 2. Re: Question about the Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), add info
            mechbob

Is a posibility the the ETU program has gotten courupted , might try uninstalling it , than reinstalling it .  Do this with all security software turned OFF. Sometimes antivious software can interfer with ETU .  I know Norton does.

• 3. Re: Question about the Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), add info
              BillinVA

Did as you suggested, disabling MS Essentials, but again, it shut down after a few hours.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Here is the action center report report.

Description

Stopped working

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Intel Extreme Tuning Utility\PerfTuneService.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: perftuneservice.exe

Problem Signature 02: 2.1.411.19

Problem Signature 03: 4ced7080

Problem Signature 04: System.Management

Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 4ca2baf0

Problem Signature 07: e0

Problem Signature 08: 3f

Problem Signature 09: System.Management.Management

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 1630947508

There is definitely something that stops it, but I cannot isolate it.  This is something that is not evident when it happens.  No BSOD, no warning, nothing.  There were no errors in the install log.
              Without the more aggressive fan ramp-up, the processor will hit 80C on video rendering and gaming with the stock cooler. 
              Maybe it is time for a better CPU cooler and ditch the XTU program and stock cooler.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

• 4. Re: Question about the Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), add info
                mechbob

First off being as the I7-960 , is a 130 watt CPU , I would not use the stock cooler , Personaly I use cousair H2O solutions , very effective. You have a lot of $$ in this SYS why not protect it from heat . These CPUs will throttle back when they get HOT . Better case fans would help also. 80C is pretty hot when mine gets near 55c I get worried. This may just be a heat problem. that why you are not not getting event failure codes. P/S you said you disabled the security , did you than uninstall ETU and reinstall it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Question about the Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), add info
                  BillinVA

Robert:

Sorry for the delay.  I disabled the security for uninstall and install, as well as using administrator rights.

The XTU does not shut down during high stress activities, so the CPU would be around 35-42C.  The random freezes (probably Flash related as the new update on 2/16 seems to have solved that issue) has also never happen in high stress times.

Interestingly I shut down the PC last night and today is showed that XTU shut down as in prior messages.  I am going to watch very carefully when I shutdown or log off to see if there is a correlation between actual shutdown and the XTU shutdown.  Maybe XTU just does not shut down smoothly.

On the CPU cooler, I have been considering a new air cooler.  The case I am using (Thermaltake V9) is very well vented with mesh and fans and currently has 2-120mm intake fans in front controlled by the MB, a large 200mm top fan exhaust also linked to the MB, a rear 120mm exhaust linked to MB, and a side input fan below the CPU that is powered by the PSU and feeds cool air to the 560Ti. 

When I first tested the system after building, it quickly throttled back due to the stock cooler not being tight as I had not inserted and turned one of the locking screws completely.  When re-installed properly, that has never happened again.

Since any new cooler (air or H2O) will require removing the motherboard to install a backing plate, I will first clean, remount and re-thermal paste the stock cooler.  (Lesson for future builds - get a case with a cutout behind the CPU where the MB sits.)

I was also going to look at the fans themselves since I have found some that are more efficient with much higher CFM rates and identical noise signatures, and it is very quiet now, so a bit more fan noise is acceptable.

Robert:  Thanks greatly for your assistance.  I am going to open a new topic on what coolers fit well on the DX58SO2.  I was glad to hear your Corsair works so well.

Bill

Intel DX58SO2 - BIOS 0779 v. AAG10925-205

i7-960 w/stock cooler

12 GB Ram

2 WD 1TB SATA3 HDD

TSST DVD-RW combo SATA

nVidia GTX 560Ti 1024MB w Viewsonic 27" 1920x1080 monitor.

Thermaltake V9 case

• 7. Re: Question about the Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), and possibly related issues
                    mechbob

I can see you have alot invested in your sys . Look at the Coursair 600T case and the HT-100 Radiator . you would be set for years to come. YEA I know what you mean about not having a cut out , When I first started building computers I got a cheap case without a cut , and I told myself never again. By the way that 600t comes in white or black , I think the white would look classy . If you into looks . Me I concentrate on the guts . My Next build will be a X-79 ,$$$$   Right now I have a hand built Box with a DX48BT2, MOMBO  Xeon CPU 8GB ddr3-1333 turned up to 1400Mhz . the coursair H-80 with two fans push pull set-up. Dual HD-5770 GPUs ,Seasonic 850WattPSU . works great fro now , I found out something yesterday ,If you get windows 7 Home ,you are limited to 16 GB , But if you get the PRO. Ver. it's 192 GB. Go figure.