2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 11:11 PM by Philidor

Can Kindle connect to My WiFi without a router?

Philidor

Both Amazon and Samsung can't answer.

I have a 700Z5 Samsung laptop running W7 Home Premium.  Came with My WiFi.  Comcast cable by wire.

When I try to connect, MyWiFi recognizes the device, though not named as a Kindle.  It beeps several times with the message that it's accessing the internet.  The Kindle gives up sooner, and asks for the password again.

Looking at the My WiFi settings, it says it's not connected to the internet.  The cable connection is working.

It's possible the question is, Can My WiFi connect to the internet without a router?

Please advise.

• 1. Re: Can Kindle connect to My WiFi without a router?
          Dan_O

Well, I'm not sure Intel can answer either, but I'll give it a try...

Not knowing anything about your setup, does it look something like this?

Kindle ==(wireless)== Samsung laptop ==(physical cable)== wall socket

If you have no router, what does your laptop talk to, to get internet?

• 2. Re: Can Kindle connect to My WiFi without a router?
            Philidor

Yes, that's the setup.

The Kindle recognizes the network created by My WiFi by name.

It gives a list of networks it can "see", and I can tell from My WFi's Properties that it has the right one.  I changed the password to make certain the one entered was correct (the original failed), but that made no difference.

I also tried changing to a DHCS connection when the original didn't work (making a note of the original entries for IP address and Subnet mask; the other two lines were blank), but that didn't help either.

I'm probably only missing something.

Thanks for your concern.