Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

SC5299BRP case S5000VSA MB and 2 Xeon Dual Core Processors

idata
Employee

I have all this stuffed into the case. I have had numerous problems in the past, but I got the server to post using an old processor.

Now I am getting an amber light on the bottom most light on the front of the case. All of the operating parameters are good. What could be causing this?

Also, I am getting an amber light next to the rear case fan power connector, and the fan only runs on high, like the thing thinks it is hot.

I have two versions of this board. I think the new board is in the server with the older processor, the E5300. The older board is supports E5400 and will not post with the two E5400 processors.

I fried a couple of hard drives and I don't know what else fried on the old board. The RAM and the new board post and work fine. I am using it as a NAS machine with BSD. I would like to put the thing back together and use it as a server again, if I can do so without breaking the bank. I have already purchased a new power supply and the new board(which is actuall an older version of the original board).

Is there a way to know if the processors are bad or if the board is bad other than purchasing a new board ($240)?

Should I just scrap the whole thing and start over? I hope not? I have 2 E5400 Xeons that might be good, a couple of boards, and good RAM, and a case that I think is good.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

You can still boot up the server right? You can run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18949 SEL Viewer to check what's causing the amber LED. Also please provide the PBA# of the board and SL# of the processor.

0 Kudos