Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

ASUS P8H67-M LE and Intel RAID RS2WC080

CPark21
Beginner

Is the Asus board P8H67-M LE and the Intel RAID RS2WC080 compatible? If so, does anyone know the settings in the ASUS BIOS to make it work? I have the card installed and I can boot into the RAID BIOS and configured my RAID 5 and the post boot RAID BIOS can see the RAID but when I boot into installing Windows or even VMWare, neither can see the drives to install to.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CPark21
Beginner

Yes I loaded the driver.

Here's what I found. I setup a RAID 5 off 8 drives within the RAID BIOS. I install and boot off a seperate drive connected solor to the onboard SATA. Windows would see the RAID controller but was unable to start the hardware. Drivers all installed properly but the driver would be unable to start the board. Similar thing would happen when I would attempt to install Windows off the RAID itself without the seperate hard drive. During the installation I would provide the RAID driver, it would load fine but would not be able to start.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Is the VD larger than 2TB?

0 Kudos
CPark21
Beginner

Yes, the Volume is larger than 2TB. 10TB to be exact.

I tested the Onboard RAID with RAID5 (removed the Intel RAID card), same RAID config as on the Intel card. During installation, Windows saw the 10TB and although I couldn't not use the enitre 10TB, the point was it saw it, using the onboard RAID.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

MBR disk has a limitation of 2TB. GPT supports disks larger than 2TB, but you'll need EFI boot to boot from a GPT disk.

To make things easier, create a VD (not partition) less than 2TB and install OS to it. Create a second VD with the remaining capacity for data storage.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm having a different but related problem. I ran into this thread on FreeNAS that may help:

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?8632-Intel-RS2WC080-Raid-Controller-(Model-LSI-SAS9240-8i) Intel RS2WC080 Raid Controller (Model LSI SAS9240-8i)

0 Kudos