Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

High temperature detected on i7 2700k

idata
Employee

I have just completed a build and observed very high processor temperatures during testing. I am using an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3 motherboard, 16GB Corsair Vengance memory (4x4GB, double channel paired), Intel RTS2011LC thermal solution (liquid cooling), mid tower case with two 200mm fans and a third fan this being the radiator cooler fan. Processor is overclocked at 103x47 ~ 4.8Ghz. Idle temperature is 20 deg C with the processor at 103x16 = 1648Mhz. The temperature shown by the ASUS monitor utility reaches 87 deg C when running the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool for 64bit under Windows 7. For a ten minute run the Intel tool indicates the temperature test passed and it's 10 degrees below maximum. However, the processor seems to be throttleing as the multiplier goes down to 44 thus reducing the frequency. I am concerned because the cooling radiator get only luke warm and even the pump doesn't get hot. I have dismounted the pump and re-installed using new TIM. I didn't find anything wrong with the initial installation, the TIM was spread evenly over all the processor face. I have used only the TIM provided by Intel with the cooling package. Why are the radiator and pump not hot when the temperature shown is 87 degrees? Any words of wisdom please?

Message was edited by: josperan

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Please keep in mind that we can guarantee that the processor will be running under thermal specifications as long as it is not over-clocked above 3.9 GHz.

If the processor is over-clocked above that speed, the processor will be running out of specifications, which means that we cannot guarantee the processor behavior.

Regarding the cooling solution not feeling that hot as the processor is reporting, I would suggest installing the latest BIOS version for your motherboard to make sure that the motherboard is detecting the correct processor temperature.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your prompt response Adolfo. I asked myself about the accuracy of the motherboard temperature detection program so I used several test tools including the Intel tool and others, and I got the same results. I can't do anything with the BIOS as there is no other version than the one I have for that board. So I turned my attention to the overclock settings I had. Luckily I found a way to change the parameters and get the same speed but with a much lower core voltage. This seems to do the trick as now the maximum temperature I get is 69 degrees Centigrade. Nevertheless I will contact ASUS regarding a possible error reading the temperature. Thanks again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Temperatures are primarily going to be dependant on your cooling system. Operating voltage will make the biggest difference in the amount of power consumed then frequency so reducing your voltage will help a lot.

If you are using AI-Suite to measure CPU temperature do be aware that this reading is likely not a core DTS temperature but a fixed offset from DTS so may be showing a temperature ~10C below core temperature which would mean your reading of 87°C could have actually been 97°C-98°C.

Why is your water luke warm, well just as a rough example lets say your water temperature is 35°C and the cooling solution provides thermal resistance of 0.2°C/W while TIM gives 0.1°C/W and core to IHS thermal resistance is 0.2°C/W. When operating at 100W the base of the cooler would be 35+100x0.2=55°C, the temperature at the IHS would be the base plus TIM loss 55+100x0.1=65°C (case temperature) and the loss to core would be 65+100x0.2=85°C. So while your ambient water temperature is at 35°C, your core temperature is at 85°C at 100W.

The total thermal resistance in this example would be 0.2+0.2+0.2=0.5°C/W so at 120W core temperature would be 60C above water temperature (95C). If it is run for a while like this the water temperture will likely slowly rise and core temperature while rise correspondingly.

If the TIM is improved to say 0.02C/W in the above example that would result in 2C at 100W which would result in a 8C lower core temperature, likewise if a better cooler were used.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks a lot for your response Terabytes!

I never thought that the heat transfer coeficients would be this bad. Evidently the number of degrees C we are loosing is significant for this situation. I wonder if there are better solutions (of course within the reach of an end-user/hobbyst) out there that we could use.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am trying to get some help. I installed an i7-2600k standard clock with Asrock z68 pro3-m and 500w power supply. The Asrock motherboard shows me the cpu termperture is 92C. Is that normal? I have not installed the hard drive and dvd rom yet. Can anyone tell me if that is the issue of the cpu? Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I have an i7-2700K, Asus P8z68-M Pro with 8GB Ram, Corsair 650W PSU, ASUS 550Ti videocard, and a CoolerMaster Silencio 550 case. I do NOT overclock my system, I use it for work. I had stock coolers, and my idle temp was 45C on CPU and 40 on MB. I replaced the stock coolers, with Cooler Master Hyper TX3 cooler. The temp was not changed at all. With Prime95 10 minutes test I can reach even 79C!!!!

Is it normal???? And furthermore I started experience serious crashes during the recent week, and I was afraid of that it was due to overheating....

Any advice would help

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

The TCase for this processor is 72.6 degrees Celsius

The TCase is a number established by Intel® as a point of reference in order to understand what could be expected as per normal processor temperature.

Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it won't be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

The normal processor temperature will depend on the chassis type, the hardware involved and the location of the computer, and it usually is lower than the Tcase.

So basically the temperature that you are reporting is under thermal specifications for your processor. Make sure that you are reading the CPU temperature and not the cores temperature.

I would suggest installing the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, and if the same issue continues, then proceed to test this processor on another motherboard, to see if the issue follows the processor or other component.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Adolfo,

My question is that I have an i72700K, usually it's about 40 degrees. The speed is reported as 1648 MHz. When I stress the CPU (game, or prime95, or intel's diagnostic tool) it doesn't change at all. All the results are reporting half the score it should achieve. I use this computer for work, I am a 3d Artist, and speed is key in my life...Can you tell me, if there is any reliable source to tell me what is the real speed of the CPU?

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

I would suggest making sure that the Enhance Intel SpeedStep® Technology is disabled in the BIOS, since having this feature enabled will force the processor to run slower in order to save power consumption.

Usually the option name on the BIOS is "EIST" at list on Intel motherboards, but you can check with your motherboard manufacturer for the right option name.

After doing so I would suggest running the Intel® Processor Identification Utility to determine if the processor is being properly recognized.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That does seem a bit high, I have a similar system using the Asus P8Z68-V and an i7-2600K not overclocked, but I am also running an aftermarket cooler instead of the stock cooler. My case is an Antec 900 which is a very open case and I'm using several high flow fans for cooling. My temps at idle are

25c

Message was edited by: Glenn Keawe

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, it seems that the main issue was that the core voltage was too high. When I was able to reduce the voltage and still have a stable system the temperatures of the cores show 66, 70, 70, 69 deg C during the same 10 minute Intel test. So I guess this is the answer to the problem, keep Vcore as low as possible for a stable system

0 Kudos