5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2014 8:28 AM by Pritam RSS

DH67BL Board Renesas USB 3 Intermittent disconnection

roshaniw Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everyone,

Today (11-FEB-2012) I bought Intel MOtheboard DH67BL and configured my desktop. When tried to copy data from my external USB3 drive, Ifoundthat the device is being disconnected while the files arebeing copied to local hard drive or the other way round.

When I connected the USB3 drive on to USB2 of the same system, it works fine. No disconnections.

My current config. is as follows:

Computer Manufacturer  Intel Corporation
Computer Model  DH67BL
Operating System (O/S)  Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1

MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION 
Manufacturer  Intel
Model  DH67BL

BIOS Vendor Intel Corp.
BIOS Version Intel Corp. BLH6710H.86A.0119.2011.0523.1030
BIOS Release Date 05/23/11
System Memory 7.9 GB
Built-in Audio Driver Component Realtek ALC892
Built-in Audio Driver Version 6.0.1.6215
Built-in Audio Driver Status Newer Driver Available

PROCESSOR INFORMATION
Manufacturer Intel
Model  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Intel Processor analysis tools not detected
CPU Speed 3.1 GHz

Renesas USB Driver version 2.1.28.0

Can anyone please let me know how to overcome this issue?

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: DH67BL Board Renesas USB 3 Intermittent disconnection
    Victor_Intel Community Member

Hello Roshan,

I understand that you are having connectivity problems when using your USB 3.0 devices.

In regards to your question, we had similar problems reported and have been fixed with a BIOS update.

Regards.

PV

• 2. Re: DH67BL Board Renesas USB 3 Intermittent disconnection
    Mark Neuert Community Member

Hello,

I am having a very similar problem to this on my ASUS UX31A, which uses an Intel HM76 chipset. I've written up a help request for ASUS, which I'll repeat here:

Hello,

First of all, thank you to anyone willing to take the time to help me out.

I recently tried to create a system image of my laptop on a Western Digital My Passport Essential via a USB 3.0 connection. The image gets about 1/3 of the way done, and then I hear the "device disconnected" chime go off (like if you unplug a USB key or device), and I get a message saying the backup failed because Windows can no longer find my external drive, which tells me that the drive is disconnected. The drive re-connects right after, as AutoPlay opens up for the drive, but by then the backup has already failed.

This only seems to happen with portable external hard drives (powered through the USB port), as I've been able to make system images using two external hard drives (one of them a WD MyBook) that have their own power supply plugged into the wall. I did some research, and it seems this is a common problem, not just with ASUS laptops, where the hard drive draws too much power from the USB port and disconnects (or something like that), which would explain why the external drives with their own power sources work.

I found an update for Windows 7, KB976972, that addresses an issue very similar to this; however, this update only works with nVidia chipsets, and I've been informed I'm running an intel chipset, and thus the update doesn't install on my computer (I get a message along the lines of "This update is not for you computer").

I've been to the ASUS download site for my laptop here:

http://ca.asus.com/en/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX31A/#download

...and have downloaded and installed all the recent drivers, as well as upgraded the most recent BIOS version 212.

Furthermore, I've run ASUS live update, which detected no new updates for my computer, suggesting to me all my drivers are up to date.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit edition w/ SP1, which has been fully updated (Windows Update detects no new updates).

The WD My Passport I tried to use is also fully up to date, with the most recent firmware and driver.

I don't know if this is a WD problem, Windows 7 problem, Intel problem, or ASUS problem, but I'm just trying to cover all my bases here.

Thanks again for the help, and looking forward to some answers!

-MN

Can you please be more specific about the BIOS update that fixed this issue? Is it available for the HM76?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: DH67BL Board Renesas USB 3 Intermittent disconnection
    Pritam Community Member

I exactly have the issue. Any luck with your problem. I could get the read to work from the USB 3.0 port after upgrading mother board BIOS to BLH6710H.86A.0160.2012.1204.1156 and Renesas Driver to 2.1.39.0 and Firmware to 3034.

But the moment I write to the USB 3.0 external hard drive [Seagate expansion 1TB], disconnects and reconnects. Guess there is no solution to this issue. The same USB 3.0 ports works fine for the USB 2.0 devices and my new USB 3.0 hard drive works fine on USB 2.0 ports.

Also I don't see any way to get support from intel on this issue. If I don't get to solve this, surely I'll change my motherboard will moving out on intel [MB and processor]

• 4. Re: DH67BL Board Renesas USB 3 Intermittent disconnection
    kevin_intel Community Member

Hi Pritam,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you.

Based on your description, I see you have done several steps that are excellent such as updating the bios to the latest and doing the firmware updates.

I recommend you installing a firmware update for your drive since it is constantly disconnecting. Since you have done the steps before and If the issue persists after updating the firmware I recommend you contacting your local support so they can check the system and replace it if necessary.

• 5. Re: DH67BL Board Renesas USB 3 Intermittent disconnection
    Pritam Community Member

Thanks Kevin for replying, appreciate that a lot. Will try to update the

hard drive's firmware, although seagate's website doesn't list an upgrade for

my drive. They have firmware search based on serial number and part number.

But you never know, thanks anyways. It seems USB 3.0 is flaky and many

people reported some issue or the other, will keep trying to fix it else be

content with usb 2.0 for now :-(

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points