1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 11, 2012 12:33 PM by Flying_Kiwi

How do I fix SATA RAID updated driver setup error?

horseaddict

NOVICE, very novice (but not dumb).

Just purchased PC Health software to fix an irritating Sonic glitch. Glitch fixed but PC Health says that I needed to update Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830 and 2836. Unfortunately both failed to download. So I came to the Intel site and used the Intel Driver Update Utility. This utility didn't mention the prior two updates, but found a newer driver version for Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5/3400/6 Series SATA RAID Controller (yes, I'm guessing that covers both of the prior Host Controllers mention by PC Health).

So after hours and hours of waiting (poor dialup connection) for this to download, when I click on the new icon (iata70_cd.exe) it immediately pops up and says that there is a "Setup.exe" error. So just in case, I deleted the new file and waited patiently all day while downloading the file again. Bloop, same response.

What can I do to fix the Setup Error?    Using Windows XP Home Ed                     Please help    -D

• 1. Re: How do I fix SATA RAID updated driver setup error?
          Flying_Kiwi

horseaddict wrote:

when I click on the new icon (iata70_cd.exe) it immediately pops up and says that there is a "Setup.exe" error.

I think the clue is in the name of that file - is it on a CDROM for installing Win XP?

If you want to properly install the drivers for this controller under Win XP you'll need to use the F6 Floppy or slipstreamed install approach, details of which can be found in one of the pdf files on the download page for the drivers to suit your motherboard.

Which model of Intel branded motherboard do you have and in the BIOS setup do you have the SATA drives set up in a RAID array? If there's only one drive, the controller should ideally be set to AHCI in the BIOS. The manual for your motherboard model should also be available on the Intel Website so it's just a matter of reading up and asking any further questions. If you've got to the point where you're paying to buy software to fix software or driver problems on your PC, IMO you should be considering learning how to perform a back-up of valuable data and a 'from the ground up' fresh install of the OS, drivers and additional software. I've never found software that can fix what a fresh, correctly performed OS reinstall from scratch wouldn't also fix (at no cost other than the time).