3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 2:05 PM by Aryan2411

DIY PC faces Boot issue - Help

just DIY an Intel motherboard DG45ID with E8500 and encounter boot issue.  Searched and read FAQ but no resolution. When power supply was switched on, the power supply fan and the cpu fan turned for like 2 second and stopped.  Hitting RESET or POWER (front panel) does nothing at all.  Disconnect CMOS battery after 1 mins and re-power gaves the same 2sec spin and stop.  No beep thru out and the green LED on motherboard is ON.  What shd i do ?  Help.

• 1. Re: DIY PC faces Boot issue - Help

First thing i will try is to recover the bios through recovery mode. Follow the instructions on Intel Download Page of the board how to update the bios of the board DG45ID through recovery mode. The latest bios is 0087.

After the bios update, if it does not boot, remove the memory on the board and see if the board issues any beeps. If it beeps, try with another cpu compatible on the board to confirm if there is any problem with the current CPU.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: DIY PC faces Boot issue - Help

I'm having a similar sounding issue.  I put together a machine based on the DG45ID board tonight and I was able to boot it once to the bios.  While in the bios, I changed the memory from automatic to manual and to 800 MHz.  Then I rebooted and have been getting the same treatment that you have (perpetually rebooting - fans spin, led comes on, hd ticks, and then it shuts down again).  I tried creating a bootable USB drive with the iFlash software to update the bios, but I don't think that the machine even gets close to reading the USB drives before throwing in the towel.

I'm pretty sure that it's the memory setting that is messing up my machine, and definitely appreciate your help fixing this.

ps. So far, I've also tried removing the ram (beeps three times), removing the CMOS battery, leaving it unplugged for a while, removing the BIOS jumper, changing the BIOS jumper.

• 3. Re: DIY PC faces Boot issue - Help

Hi there,

Does your system boot? If no, then

Check if your processor is on the compatibility list and make sure to check which bios version does the board requires for the cpu to work properly:
              Website: http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=DG45ID

Then make sure that the memory you are using has the features as mentionned on this page:
              Website: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg45id/sb/CS-029147.htm
              Note: Changing the memory voltage and speed may affect the board and void your warranty.

If both of these components meet the requirements, then continue to the next steps.

1. Remove the memory again
                  Does the board issue any beeps? If yes, how many?

2. Then try a bios recovery using a formatted USB media.

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates
              In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. The recovery process requires the chassis to be opened to move the onboard BIOS Configuration Jumper.
              WARNING: This process is intended to be performed by a trained technician.
              Recovery with Formatted USB Stick

1. Copy the recovery file (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
              2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
              3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
              4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
              5. Power the system on.
              6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
              7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the system.
              8. Remove usb disk
              9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
              10. Restart system.

Note: these can be found on:
              Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17197/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf
              Page 3

The latest bios is Version 0087.