2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2012 7:54 PM by TGentrys RSS

Are there Intel drivers for ICH10 USB Controllers?

TGentrys Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Before you ask, yes this is sincere question!

I'm trying to track down a USB device problem on a P45/ICH10R system running Windows 7 64-bit. I have the most recent chipset drivers, and the Automatic Update application on Intel's site says everything is up to date. In trying to eliminate the drivers as the cause of the issue, I noticed that even though the drivers for my USB Host Controllers are labelled as Intel ICH10 etc., these are actually Microsoft drivers (version 6.1.7600.16788).

I also have Windows 7 running on an Atom netbook, which has the ICH7M southbridge. This machine does not have the issue with my device - however, the USB controllers for that system are running an Intel driver, version 9.1.1.1016.

After some searching, I confirmed there are no USB-related files available on Intel's site for my desktop system; in fact the INF Update package's download page specifically states "The Intel Chipset Device Software does not install drivers for AGP or USB. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UTILITY IF YOUR DEVICE MANUFACTURER IS RECOMMENDING IT TO CORRECT AN "AGP DRIVER," "AGP GART," OR "USB DRIVER" ISSUE; IT WILL NOT CORRECT YOUR ISSUE."

Now the strange thing is, various driver/update websites (suspiciously, only Paid ones) DO list an Intel driver - for example, "Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A6A - Version 9.0.0.1005", on RadarSync ( http://www.radarsync.com/vendor/category/usb/page-4/intel_corporation ). The version numbering seems believable, but it's also possible they are just enticing people to subscribe to their service.

Can anyone shed some light on this, or verify the existence of these drivers?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points