1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2012 8:33 AM by Flying_Kiwi

SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard

rafale

I am facing a rather peculiar problem.

I just set up a new system with WinXP Pro SP3 + all updates and patches on this board.

core i3 Sandybridge

intel DH67CL

2gb x 2 DDR3

1TB Seagate SATA 6GB/s

While installation I did not use the F6 routine for SATA drivers.

Now that I want to enable SATA using a workaround, the "Intel Rapid Storage SATA F6 Floppy allOS_32 10.6.0.1022" driver available at driver downloads shows 13 options

1) "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver"
      2) "Intel AHCI Controller"
      3) "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
      4) "Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller"
      5) "Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
      6) "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
      7) "Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
      8) "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller"
      9) "Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller"
      10) "Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller"
      11) "Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller"
      12) "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller"
      13) "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller"

Which driver will enable SATA AHCI in my system ????

• 1. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
          Flying_Kiwi

Id try No 2 (otherwise no 1 if that gives you problems). My Series 4 Intel board uses something very similar to option 12 (except 'RAID' replacing 'AHCI' because I have a RAID setup). As your board is more modern and doesn't have North and South bridge 'chipsets' anymore none of the ICH options will apply for you.

Clearly things aren't as simple as they should be because questions like this have been asked here several times before - hopefully one day Intel will think to include in the readme with these drivers, which option to choose for which motherboard!

• 2. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
            rafale

Flying_Kiwi:

At the time of WinXP installation I did not use the F6 floppy route to install SATA AHCI drivers. Rather I used the workaround to update SATA AHCI Drivers from within WinXP.

There was a bit of confusion as to which was the correct driver, the AHCI download from intel site gave 13 options in the same driver file.

While researching for the same, I came across your blog posts at this URL

"http://communities.intel.com/message/128517#128517"

and I selected #12 "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller" 

The reason I am reconsidering my decision is because I have been getting random BSOD's, sometimes after 1hr, sometimes after 4hrs.

1) What can I do to resolve this situation that I am in without reinstalling XP

2) How do we actually know which AHCI driver is the "One"

• 3. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
              Flying_Kiwi

For YOUR board 12 is NOT the correct choice - as mentioned that relates to the 'Express Chipset' found (in my experience) on my 4 Series board and yours is much newer - yours doesn't even have an Express Chipset of any type anymore. You should rectify this before going further (as above using either option 2 or 1 - trying in that order) - you could TRY extracting the drivers from the package you already have and then using any of the various Windows driver update methods (my favourite being the update driver button from within device manager and the controllers properties/driver tab) to select the correct one

If it turns out the fact that you have the wrong driver installed is not responsible, what messages are in the BSODs (not that this is always helpful) and when do they occur - ie is there any pattern such as only when hot, only under lots of hard drive activity (such as a running a defrag), only when opening a particular program or performing a certain function in the software or os - these are all things to consider. You may also find the Windows event log to be some help but often BSOD causes can't be traced that way.

What order did you install all the drivers and are ALL the latest Intel provided drivers for this board and your OS installed or are you relying on some of the native Windows drivers (if there are any in XP)? The correct way to do it is explained on the driver installation order page for Intels website here (although I don't know why that's not linked to at the top of Intels motherboard related download pages).

Let us know if you are able to update from the wrong AHCI driver to the correct one as described above - I've never tried this but as long as you already have the BIOS in AHCI mode and have used 'an' AHCI driver (in this case the wrong one), I can't see why that shouldn't work - although really you should have originally used the F6 method on OS install or slipstreamed in the drivers

- one caveat, if you do have valuable data on this drive already, back it up before going any further!

• 4. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                whale

"Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller" is the correct choice for 6-series chipsets. 4-series chipsets, which connects with ICH10 or ICH10R, should choose "Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller".

• 5. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                  pwertz

Kiwi - I believe 12 is the correct driver. It is what I am using on my DH67CL board without issue. Some months ago I was directed to this driver by this reference http://communities.intel.com/thread/17986?start=15&tstart=0  , comment 19. Regards. Peter

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                    Flying_Kiwi

In response to whale - well you'd think so but I suspect either is acceptable - as mentioned running the exe file on my DG45ID (4 Series ICH10R equipped) board installs the former and they work perfectly fine (albeit under Win 7 and not XP in my case).

Storage Controller.jpg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                      Flying_Kiwi

Peter Wertz wrote:

Kiwi - I believe 12 is the correct driver.

I've had a read of post 19 (by parsec - a very knowledgeable chap here btw) but I'm not sure of your point - I agree with parsecs post but that particular post doesn't seem to state which option to choose and I don't see specific relevance. Looking at your post (no 15), you mentioned that the readme file includes all these details but if you check the latest RST driver readme (and at least a few before that) they don't. The closest you get is guidance to look at what is displayed under device manager but of course if this is for a fresh AHCI F6 Floppy install on XP, you won't know those details already. You could look up what chipset is on your Intel board in the product information page or manual but as in my example and the ICH10R example given, that's not always definitive.

Having seen previous RST driver packages with slightly different controller names as time goes by, I suspect some of these details have changed with time (and may continue to do so - I suspect that has a lot to do with things) but as your board doesn't have an 'Express Chipset' of any type, the version you have installed I suspect isn't ideal for your setup and although you're having no issues, I suspect installing the correct (most optimised for your hardware) option would yield performance improvements or other added benefits. How did you perform your installation - was it running the exe file under Win 7 the same as me (perhaps that has something to do with things)?

I've contacted Intel over this and asked them to make this matter clearer with (ideally) a list of 'choose this option for these boards under RAID' and 'this other option for these boards under AHCI' type lists - it would be very long though! Either that or maybe they can make a simple tool on the website to help decide - as evidenced by my case, the obvious choice isn't always the correct one and things are certainly far from clear currently!

[Edit: having seen this page, it appears the 6 Series boards do have 'Express Chipsets' afterall - me thinks I was getting confused with memory controllers but I note that the driver listed doesn't mention the word Express anymore. I also still think option 12 is the wrong one for your Board Peter if you have option 2 and 1 available.]

• 8. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                        pwertz

Kiwi - I certainly agree with your aside re Parsec. His posts are always very informative. I hope he is still with us, he has been quiet lately. The link provided in post 19 took me to the recommended download; however, that link is no longer active. I did the install using the exe. under WIN 7.

In Device Manager under IDE/ATAPI Controllers my entry reads the same as Whale's above. Re your comment on "express chipset" - The tech spec for my board states the chipset is an H67 express chipset consisting of an H67 express PCH.  I have spent the last hour looking at various posts on this subject and download descriptions and find myself more confused than ever.I think I'll give this a little more thought before I try option 1 or 2. Regards. Peter

• 9. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                          rafale

The original choice "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller" is the right one.

I  formatted the drive, reinstalled WinXP using F6 floppy method and it  picked up this driver by itself. I guess that lays this discussion to  rest.

Unfortunately, I am still getting random BSOD's, which might be due to some other reason.

In case any of you guys have any insight over this, please do share it with me.

• 10. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                            Flying_Kiwi

Glad to read that doing it one of the two approved ways autoinstalled the driver without having to choose. This means that it's only cases of driver replacement when people need to know which one to choose. As for possible causes for your BSODs, I already covered that topic in my earlier post (I had a hunch it was something else responsible). Tell us more about them and your setup/drivers etc (as per my earlier post).

• 11. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                              rafale

Flying_Kiwi:

This is a new system

intel Corei3 2100 3.10Ghz

intel DH67CL MB

DDR3 2gbx2 RAM

1TB SATA HDD

Onboard Sound

Onboard Audio

WinXP Fully Updated and Patched

Basic Softwares

MS Security Essentials

Only original intel drivers have been installed, no overclocking. I am also including the results of a software called WhoCrashed

System Information (local)

computer name:  COREI3
                              windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build:  2600
                              windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
                              CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100  CPU @ 3.10GHz Intel586, level: 6
                              4 logical processors, active mask:  15
                              RAM: 3663020032 total
                              VM: 2147352576, free:  2031251456

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump  directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash  dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 27-01-12 5:29:45 AM GMT your computer  crashed
                              crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012712-01.dmp
                              This  was probably caused by the following module: fastfat.sys (Fastfat+0xD4E3)
                              Bugcheck code:  0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFFA5B3E4E3, 0x0)
                              Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
                              file path:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fastfat.sys
                              product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
                              company: Microsoft Corporation
                              description: Fast FAT File  System Driver
                              The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your  system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by  another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time. 

On Wed  25-01-12 10:02:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
                              crash dump file:  C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012512-02.dmp
                              This was probably caused by the  following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x6AF0D)
                              Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A  (0x70, 0xFF, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF80541F0D)
                              file path:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
                              description: NT Kernel &  System
                              The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is  caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time. 

On Wed  25-01-12 6:31:05 AM GMT your computer crashed
                              crash dump file:  C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012512-01.dmp
                              This was probably caused by the  following module: fastfat.sys (Fastfat+0xD4E3)
                              Bugcheck code:  0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF92E044E3, 0x0)
                              The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your  system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by  another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time. 

On Tue  24-01-12 9:59:47 AM GMT your computer crashed
                              crash dump file:  C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012412-03.dmp
                              Bugcheck code:  0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF940174E3, 0x0)

On Tue  24-01-12 6:19:49 AM GMT your computer crashed
                              crash dump file:  C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012412-02.dmp
                              Bugcheck code:  0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF940814E3, 0x0)

On Tue  24-01-12 5:21:45 AM GMT your computer crashed
                              crash dump file:  C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012412-01.dmp
                              Bugcheck code:  0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF940694E3, 0x0)

• 12. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                                Flying_Kiwi

rafale wrote:

This is a new system

intel Corei3 2100 3.10Ghz

intel DH67CL MB

DDR3 2gbx2 RAM

1TB SATA HDD

Onboard Sound

Onboard Audio

WinXP Fully Updated and Patched

I got some of that earlier and thanks for acknowledging you've used all the Intel provided drivers for Win XP. I'm assuming you have XP Pro 32 bit and by fully updated and patched you mean you started with a SP3 included installation CDROM and then ran Windows update at the end of OS installation? Did you install the OS with default settings throughout (including a single NTFS partition using the full drive capacity)? Was the installation order performed as on the Intel page I linked to earlier (this is important)?

I note that the crashes you've shown relate to something called fastfat.sys - do you have any memory cards or USB thumb drives on this system and if so were they connected when the OS was being installed and do the crashes still occur with the USB drive unplugged and after rebooting leaving it unplugged? Given this motherboard doesn't have a floppy port, how did you get the F6 Floppy drivers installed and if it was a USB Floppy drive, was it one that's compatible for this purpose (not all are)?

Before you install any additional software, it'd be worth ironing out these BSODs (in case you have to reinstall again). It's always best with a system that's problematic to fault find an O/S only (and drivers) installation - taking things at the MOST basic level.

Is your memory compatible with this board as described on Intels page here (or the CMTL link from that page)? I note that you've not given the brand or model no for the modules - do you have this info (maybe it'll be on your receipt)?

• 13. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                                  rafale

Flying_Kiwi:

Yes, I started with a slipstreamed SP3 CD and went on to update WinXP fully. The HDD is partitioned into 4 parts and WinXP was installed on Drive C.

I simply do not remember whether I followed the "INF drivers first" rule or not. In any case I am currently reinstalling the OS as per intel driver loading steps and would have a fuller answer for you within a couple of hours.

The F6 Floppy Drivers were also slipstreamed into the installation.

The RAM is G.Skill DDR3 1333mhz 2GB x 2, dual channel enabled. Last night I performed a comprehensive check on the RAM using memtest.MemTest86 Report 29th Jan 2012.jpg

fastfat.sys: I was not using any USB devices during installation. I experienced no BSOD's in the first few days, so I kept loading all the softwares that I required. The BSOD's started appearing after all this was installed, with no apparent cause. I even retraced the OS upto a few days back, The BSOD's disappeared, but then came on again ??

I will post again, after I have reinstalled the OS.    

• 14. Re: SATA AHCI Drivers for intel DH67CL Motherboard
                                    rafale

Surface scan of HDD also went fine.

I have reinstalled the OS, Updates, Drivers, softwares, in that order. I took an image after every step and before installing any out of the way softwares.

No problems during installation or setting up at my home.

First BSOD after 2hrs of plugging PC into the office.

I believe I have found out the problem. I use True Crypt 4.3a extensively for my office documents. I believe that FAT32 volumes of true crypt are causing all these errors in a multi-processor setting.

These two URL's also corroborate the issue faced by me.

Windows BSOD with fastfat.sys and truecrypt containerhttp://www.softblog.com/2008-02/the-hunt-for-blue-screen/

The Hunt For Blue Screen « softblog

I have moved my documents into a new NTFS volume and am keeping my fingers crossed :-)

1 2 Previous Next