13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2015 1:23 PM by allan_intel

DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update

alursu

Hi,

I jst update my DH67BL motherboard with the latest BIOS which is 0146, I am sorry that I didn't read before many postings on this forum having issues doing this.

My system was perfectly running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits before this update.

I managed to do only the first step using F7 BIOS Flash Update,

everything went OK, the display was showing update from a previous 0100 version to 0146,

I was seeing the message that The firmware was successfully updated,

then the computer automatically rebooted and after reboot everything is dead,

no video, no error beeps, removed all HDD-s still nothing only CD-ROM led blinks.

Then tryed both BIOS Recovery Mode (no jumper) and then Configuration boot still no go...

What I can still try is to put and then remove my NVidia video card, anything else I cannot think now.

Please help...

• 1. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
          Flying_Kiwi

Al wrote:

What I can still try is to put and then remove my NVidia video card

Absolutely! Anything to simplify the system - unplug any non-essential USB devices or other cards in motherboard slots as well. When BIOS updates run they can't take account of every possible system component plugged into the board because there are just so many possibilities. For this reason you are always less likely to encounter problems if you flash your BIOS with a 'minimalist' setup (ie just the minimum to run and even then all BIOS values set to 'default' before starting the process). Hopefully having another go using the recovery process from this state (either the newest version or even the original version that was running fine) will make a difference. Carefully read the notes about running the recovery process (particularly the part about the lack of anything on the screen so you know what to expect). If you can only get it running again with the same version you had on before attempting the upgrade, then at least it's usable while Intel work out what to do. Either way you should get in touch with Intel Tech Support.

• 2. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
            Quy Nguyen

Hi guys,

I got exactly the same problem. Black screen after bios update. Can anyone give me an idea to escape the bricked/black screen? I'm turning on the pc, only power led flash & the fan working. No beep, no screen, nothing works...

I tried to put the jumper in to bios configuration but no luck. There's no signal & no output to screen. I cannot do anything more.

Also try to remove all thing, inlcuding hdd. Only recovery usb is plugged in (I removed usb mouse & keyboard also) but this doesn't help.

Try to remove cmos batter, unplug from power, leave it 5 hours then try to get thing up but nothing work...

What can I do now?

Thank you very much if you can help....

• 3. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
              Flying_Kiwi

When you mentioned you tried removing all things including the HDD, what was actually plugged into the motherboard (incl any graphics card) at the time of flashing and were all values in the BIOS at default values ie no overclocking taking place? Also, what version were you attempting to upgrade from? As far as reviving it, I think your only option at this stage (if I understand clearly what you've already tried), is to contact Intel Tech Support and look to get it RMA'd under warranty.

I think any common factors that you've experienced and that have resulted in this dead board will be usefull information to help prevent a recurrence with other people - hence my asking about the circumstances leading up to this....

Good luck with your contact with Intel.

• 4. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
                Ron Yttri

You are out of luck on this one as I have had it happen to me twice.  I had the same board and updated the BIOS and it went dark after the update.  I did an RMA on the board and a replacement came back with BIOS 105 on it.  It booted up fine all was well and I updated the BIOS to the current 155 and bamm same dark screen no signal.  I have spent way too much time on this one and am not going to go to Intel tech support again for 2 hours to get another replacement and then spend $ to ship it back to Kentucky again.

Bottom line on this board, if it is working DO NOT UPDATE THE BIOS.

132 is probably the highest you can go to.

• 5. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
                  Flying_Kiwi

Ron Yttri wrote:

You are out of luck on this one as I have had it happen to me twice.

Out of luck in what regard? You mentioned the update wasn't from the version immediately prior to the version you wanted to update to and I've seen that, in itself, cause failed flashes before (even though it shouldn't and there was nothing documented advising people to only update from the next earlier version). Was there a graphics card slotted into either of the motherboards at the time of flashing?

Bottom line on this board, if it is working DO NOT UPDATE THE BIOS.

That's good advise whatever the board (from whatever the manufacturer) and it's close to what Intel officially advise. They suggest only updating if you know the newer BIOS version addresses specific problems you are experiencing. In short, if it aint broke, don't try to fix it.

• 6. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
                    Ron Yttri

out of luck because the MB will need to be RMAed or eWasted.

No graphics card ever installed either.

I had a few of these boards and the BIOS update (above 132) only worked on one of them and it had a board rev of 208.  Both the rev 206 and 209 boards went dark with no monitor or keyboard synch after what looked to be a successful update.  DH67GD boards.

It is the same BIOS file for the GD and the BL boards.

• 7. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
                      Flying_Kiwi

Ron Yttri wrote:

It is the same BIOS file for the GD and the BL boards.

So the fact no graphics cards were ever involved is pointing towards upgrading from a version that was not one version below what you are upgrading to as being the issue then. This definitely rings a bell but the thread was so long ago here, I've not tried searching for it. The Intel web page covering the previous version (which had similar issues and was withdrawn) is still available for people to read. Anyone who does dare to update their board (and who NEEDS the update to address known issues) should ensure that as well as a minimum config / no graphics card installed setup being used, recent updates are only perfomed one step at a time (rather than with large gaps as was the case that caused you - and many others - problems Ron Yttri).

• 8. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
                        Ron Yttri

The updates as best that I can remember were:

132 to 151 board rev 209 failed

132 to 151 board rev 208 success

105 to 155 board rev 206 failed

For what its worth I have been updating Intel board BIOS's for years now (well over 100 times) and have not had issues until this board series.  Some have been pretty close to the next revision and others have been multiple versions behind.  It has always been a standard practice for me to update the BIOS first thing after the OS load.  Now for this series board I am going to stick with what the board has  : )

• 9. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
                          Quy Nguyen

I'm not sure the relation between OS & the BIOS. I update this from DOS with a new blank HDD, no graphic card installed. And pumb..... black screen. I've just sent it to Intel care & not sure they will give me a new one or not.

If I get a new one, I had better sell it & get a newer model, which supports ivy without any BIOS update required....

• 10. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
                            fva_taimyr

i have a same problem with DH67CF. after bios updates no video, no sound no nothing. tell me please ware can i download binary bios rom to flash chip directly.

sorry 4 my bed english. thx.

• 11. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
                              wagnerguitar

anyone knows if after update for bios with ivy bridge support, the MOBO loses the support for sandy bridge?

• 12. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
                                A.Mustermann

Updated DH67BL from BIOS 0110 to 0160. Update seemed to work fine, but now the system is dead. Tried everything, even BIOS recovery with the 0110 Firmware from USB - doesn't work.

Had to order a new board for the i7-2600K and throw away the DH67BL. Very very disappointed!

• 13. Re: DH67BL bricked after 0146 BIOS update
                                  allan_intel

Did you check with Intel support if your board still under warranty?

Contact Support

Allan.