Hello! I am trying to update a Gateway 6020GZ, below are the specs:

MS Windows XP Home edtion version 2002 service pack 2

Intel celeron M 1.4 GHz processor

1.39 GHz, 504 MB RAM

Network adapters:

broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller

broadcom 802.11g network adapter

1394 net adapter

I bought the laptop from a friend and want to update the pre-installed MS office 2003 to MS Ofc 2010 but the system requirement for the update is a service pack 3. Is it possible and/or a good idea to update the service pack 2 to 3 on this laptop? What are the possible problems I would encounter if I did so?

Also, it will not connect to any wifi network connection for some reason. It just kept saying "Validating Identity" and will not connect.

Please help! Thanks very much in advance!

• 1. Re: Can anyone please help me?
          Dan_O

In regards to installing Service Pack 3 on your Gateway - only Gateway can tell you for sure if it's supported, but it's probably pretty safe.

For the wi-fi problem, you'd probably want to talk to Broadcom (if they are the manufacturer).

Although you do have an Intel processor, it doesn't really have much to do with what's going on in your system.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can anyone please help me?
            geekduchess

Thanks, Dan. I was able to update it to service pack 3 and the MS Office to 2010.  As for the wifi, for some reason, the laptop connected to my cousin's wifi network at their house but it won't connect to our wifi at home.  Oh well, I tried...