1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 7:07 PM by dnickason

NO Sound

PSS

I have an Intel motherboard D865GLC with a Sound Blaster Live audio card, the problem is there is no sound coming out the speakers. When I go to device manager the multimedia audio controller has a yellow ? on it, when I double click on it the message says The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). When I try to install the driver the message says Cannot install this hardware, "The hardware was not installed because the wizard can not find the necessary software".  I have tried to find the software on the motherboard CD, Sound Blaster CD and at Gateway, Microsoft and Intel with no luck. I know the speakers work and are hooked up right the problem lies in the multimedia audio controller and the necessary software, but where can I get it?

Paul

• 1. Re: NO Sound
          dnickason

Normally you'd go to the PC manufacturer for the driver, but since you've tried that, I would go into Device Manager, r-click the card that's showing the yellow bang, delete it, and reboot.  Depending on the OS and other circumstances, when the card gets detected as a new device, there's at least a chance it'll install properly.  On the other hand, since you've already done the normal driver update thing unsuccessfully, you could skip this step.

Then go here http://support.creative.com/Products/product_list.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster# - you might have to click the link "Learn how to identify your product" to get an exact model, or just select it from the list if you know it.   Some hardware manufacturers are really good about providing drivers to Microsoft Update, which makes the automatic update feature work like a charm, and others hope you will get frustrated enough to buy a new card.  (And IMO people should factor this into their buying decision next time they need a sound card).

And my last piece of wisdom is that it appears this motherboard has built-in sound?  If so, you could always use that instead, with a driver that probably intalls automatically but if not can be found here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22D865GLC%22.  You might have to change the BIOS setting to enable the on-board audio.