Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel Mobile GMA965 video device failure

idata
Employee

Hi all, I'm having an issue with my laptop's onboard display adapter. Periodically, when coming out of sleep or hibernation mode, the video will flicker violently before locking up the computer altogether. I can see an icon appear in the system tray trying to alert me that there was a fatal video device error but I can't click on it while the computer behaves like this. Once when this happened, I just let it be and eventually, it threw up a BSOD but I was unable to get the name of the specific application that caused the issue (I only saw something like 'igp___64.exe' or thereof, I can't quite remember the specifics now).

Another potential issue comes when watching stuff on YouTube. Sometimes the whole screen minus the mouse will freeze while watching a video. It will come back after letting it sit for awhile and it notifies me the Desktop Window Manager experienced some kind of problem. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the video device/driver or the OS environment, however.

I've tried to research this issue but so far have been unsuccessful becuase I find it difficult to describe my problem to a search engine. So I'll just ask the community directly. One thing I'd like to say about my laptop is I replaced the display on it with one that can display a higher resolution than the screen that came with it (the original screen could only do 1280x800 but this one can do 1440x900). Both me and the Intel driver update utility know I have the most recent driver so a new driver to fix this would probably have to be a rollback.

I can give you my specs but this error seems to be random so I can't give a crash dump unless it happens again:

Model: Dell Latitude D630

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250

Memory: 8GB

Graphics Adapter: Intel Mobile Graphics Media Accelerator 965

Any insight you might provide will be greatly appreciated. If nothing else, I just need a bit of direction on where to look for more information.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

We have tested the latest generic driver, 8.15.10.1930 and no similar issues have been seen or reported since it was posted back in October 02, 2009.

You can try using the latest and previous releases of our generic driver by using the following URL:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+controllers&ProductProduct=Mobile+Intel%C2%AE+965+Express+Chipset+Family&ProdId=2800&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+controllers&ProductProduct=Mobile+Intel%C2%AE+965+Express+Chipset+Family&ProdId=2800&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39

If the issue persists, there might be either a hardware related issue or the operating system in your system is compromised, which may require a fresh operating system install.

You can also confirm with your Original Equipment Manufacturer to see if the hardware installed is working properly or try using the drivers customized and directly provided by your Original Equipment Manufacturer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Cool, I managed to take a picture of the BSOD.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2730/imag0045w.jpg http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2730/imag0045w.jpg

It's rather blurry (had to use my phone without a flash) but it definitely shows the culprit.

I researched it a little. Other people report this file causing problems but no two are caused by the same reasons. So, ultimately, I'm not sure if knowing what's triggering the problem will actually solve the problem.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

if you can get the machine to boot up at all, see if you can upload the /windows/minidump files to a cyberlocker (one that is still up anyway)

and then post the link here so I can take a look

I am a 2x Windows MVP

0 Kudos