9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2012 3:40 PM by jgy2001

please advice select LG1155 mb with at least two PCIe x16 slots

jgy2001

We are looking to build LG1155 socket motherboard systems. We want to have at least two PCIe X16 slots for graphic cards to drive multiple monitors.

The systems are mostly for office use -- online use and few times copying DVD disc.

We plan to use i7-2600 or i7-2700K CPU, do you agree?

We think Z68 chipset is good choice, correct?

We use Intel motherboards before. They are very stable and reliable. But Intel offers none LG1155 mb with more than one PCIe X16 slots.

We are thinking of Asus motherboards, what do you recommend? Thank you.

• 1. Re: please advice select LG1155 mb with at least two PCIe x16 slots
          Flying_Kiwi

When you say you want to drive multiple monitors - how many and to do what (precisely)? Do you realise that you can already get dual display support with built in graphics on many boards? That could save you buying expensive graphics cards (especially if its only non-graphically intensive apps for an office you need to run). Tell us more about what you want these PCs to do - particularly how the multi-monitor bit comes into it.

• 2. Re: please advice select LG1155 mb with at least two PCIe x16 slots
            jgy2001

Yes, many office users request systems with options to drive 3 displays, runs Windows 7 x 64 bits systems. Their primary monitor is 32" LCD with 1080p resolution. That is the reason we are looking at two PCIe x16 with 1GB graphic cards per system. Many users use different monitors to display different client operation status and conversations they assigned to.

For example, EVGA 8400 GS Nvidia 1GB DDR3, PCIe x16. Outputs are DVI + HDMI + VGA. Can this single graphic card drive 3 displays simultaneously? How? We asked EVGA & Nvidia and was ignored.

We seek more USB 3 ports. Intel mb only offer two max. If use 4GB SIMM for 4 slots mb, we can have some system with 16GB max. Also, our support shop tech full size ATX mb, for ease to work.

Obviously, the highest priority is reliable systems. Our previous and current use of Intel mb systems have proved that. That keep our boss happy.

• 3. Re: please advice select LG1155 mb with at least two PCIe x16 slots
              Flying_Kiwi

If those office apps that your staff are using aren't highly graphically intensive then you could still easily get away with Intel onboard graphics with Dual Monitor support. The 32" monitor doesn't really make a difference if its resolution is 'only' 1080p (1920 x 1080). It depends what you'd need a third monitor to display but if you wanted a clone of one of the others you could also try a VGA splitter cable to feed two monitors from one of the video outputs. 16 GB of RAM on an office desktop/workstation PC that's not used for graphics manipulation is quite elaborate - are you sure you wouldn't rather spend the money on an additional PC for another worker rather than maxing out memory (expecially if they're not usually low on memory anyway - you could check memory usage in a typical scenario to be sure)?

If you need more than 2 USB 3.0 ports per office PC (and USB 2.0 for the remaining ports isn't sufficient), then you could always install a PCI-e to USB 3.0 adapter card but I'm really wondering what high-tech marvels must be in use at your office (and the speed and multitasking capabilities of your staff to be able to use up all these PC resources)....

• 4. Re: please advice select LG1155 mb with at least two PCIe x16 slots
                jgy2001

Thank you for your responses.

Quite a high percentage of office users in many floors want to have their system with options to drive 3 to 4 displays. Typically two displays are used for client operation status they are assigned to and up to the minutes production quotas. Since most of the typical graphic display cards can only drive 2 displays. That is why we seek motherboards with two PCIe x16 slots. I do not understand why Intel offers none for LG1155 mb?

16GB is high end options. Many users will not fully populated. But we want to use same mb for all systems, for ease of shop.

• 5. Re: please advice select LG1155 mb with at least two PCIe x16 slots
                  jgy2001

Can you tell me Intel LG1155 motherboard has only PCIe slots?

No more PCI slots, correct?

What is the use of PCIe x1, PCIe x4, PCIe X8 slots? There are not much use for these slots?

What if I want to get a USB3 cards? What PCI or PCIe would require?

• 6. Re: please advice select LG1155 mb with at least two PCIe x16 slots
                    Flying_Kiwi

Since you are adamant you need a very high level of performance with 2 x PCIe x 16 slots (and presumably are willing to pay a premium for such features), why the 'limitation' of a LG1155 socket?

• 7. Re: please advice select LG1155 mb with at least two PCIe x16 slots
                      jgy2001

The Intel DZ68BC mb does look best for now. Hopefully good enough when they decide to roll out Windows 8 for rest branch offices. We picked LGA1155 for the i7-2700K & i7-2600 CPU. Our bosses like our pitch.

Two Nvidia 512MB or 1GB PCIex16 graphic cards. Do not know the other one PCIex16 slot (but x8 electrically) would reduce display resolution?

Which graphic card would you recommend? We had EVGA cards before, but they never brother to return our inquiry and support questions.

• 8. Re: please advice select LG1155 mb with at least two PCIe x16 slots
                        Flying_Kiwi

jgy2001 wrote:

Which graphic card would you recommend? We had EVGA cards before, but they never brother to return our inquiry and support questions.

Sorry I'm not up to speed on these so can't recommend any. Maybe 1 card in combo with the onboard graphics will suffice (assuming your motherboard of choice is capable of that, many newer Intel boards are). I can't help feeling these are all questions you'd be best putting to your trusted IT hardware supplier.

• 9. Re: please advice select LG1155 mb with at least two PCIe x16 slots
                          jgy2001

any Intel LGA1155 motherboard has two PCIe x16 slots?

We now know of one DZ68BC. Any others as alternative? Thanks.