11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 12:26 AM by Marcin_MWM

Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke

Marcin_MWM

Sorry for my irritation but I always heard the stories about haw grate intel warranty is, but after what I'm through with my last broken bard I close to the decision newer ever baying another intel board, and if possible any intel products.

We have a little company, with about a 20 or so computers, all intel based cpu and boards. Those are custom build from a local reseller but we newer save on build cost and try to chose best possible components for the application.

And sadly for a second time we have problems with intel boards warranty. First one was a DP35DP in the end of second year of warranty. The replacement took over 2 months and we got a board that was not a equivalent replacement of the faulty one, which was no longer in production.

And now came the time for a DG45ID (now in the third year of warranty). The reseller after problem with the last one refused to accept the board for replacement because it was out of the 2 years obligatory warranty. We should contact Intel directly for replacement.

And now that's where it gets funny.

The local branch of intel newer answers the phones, or provides information (ex phone numbers to service centers that do not exist).

Site support is also does not exist. After filling a live chat form, no agent is newer avalible, and other options after a few pages lead to a dead end. "Phone and email support for this product is no longer provided". That should not concern me. I purchased a product that in time of purchase had 3 years of warranty - and that was one of reasons why this product was bought.

Maybe I should have been gone with an Asrock, at least you get what you pay for...

• 1. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
          Flying_Kiwi

I'd get in touch with you local consumer rights organisation in the country where you live and see what options you have. If your contract of sale is with the retailer you bought it from you'd need to look at what the warranty promises and who is responsible at what point. It doesn't seem right to me that the reseller should be able to opt out of a 3 year warranty later on in the piece and pass the buck to the manufacturer - especially so if that leaves you with no real practicable options because in your country they seem to be slipperier than eels to get hold of. You could also try contacting the Intel support for a nearby country and once you've got them see what they can do to help you contact your countries support (document all your efforts so you have history to tell them with dates and times/methods etc).

What's actually gone wrong with your DG45ID - maybe there's something we can suggest that'll get you up and running again or work around a known issue? I used to work as a Computer Technician and among the 150 or so Intel branded mainboards used in the PCs on site (including several servers), I only ever recall needing to replace one (and that appeared it may have been due to physical damage/mistreatment).

• 2. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
            Victor_Intel

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties to get in contact with the warranty department.

I will like to inform you that your motherboard does not have live support, this is why you cant submit an e-mail, but you are able to contact the warranty department directly at 916-377-7000 or the chat warranty support using the following web site:

http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm

Please note that our business hours are Monday-Friday from 8-5 pacific time.

Regards.

• 3. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
              rseiler

I'm a little confused: email is live support, but online chatting and phone chatting are not? The mind boggles.

• 4. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
                Victor_Intel

Hi Rseiler,

There is a difference between technical support and warranty. The motherboard no longer has live technical support, but Intel(R) will honor the warranty on the product. The contact information I provided is for the warranty department and if you notice, the customer is looking for warranty service.

If you have any further inquires, please do not hesitate to post them here and me or one of my coworkers will gladly explain them to you.

Thanks.

PV

• 5. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
                  rseiler

That site you pointed to though says "technical and/or warranty support." If I click into the motherboards section, there's no mention of email at all, regardless of product, only chat and phone "technical support" (not called "warranty support"). There's a completely separate site for email support, but it doesn't list all products, even some new ones. So....

• 6. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
                    Flying_Kiwi

It's great to see you trying to help Marcin_MWM, Victor. I hope that the information you provided is applicable to his country of residence and he follows your guidance to get what he wants - it certainly seems like they have a much harder time getting through to someone there than I've had here in the UK whenever I've needed to contact Intel about things!

As for rseiler's comments, as his motherboard (from other threads) is newer, the same end of interactive support situation doesn't apply for him. Are you aware that some of the new motherboards such as the new 7 series and some of the 6 series ones aren't listed in the drop down list of options that come up if you click the submit an email link at the bottom of this page: http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm.

I realise by following the motherboard support links that Intel prefers customers to contact them for Desktop Motherboard support (and I'm not talking about just warranty issues here) via the telephone but I'm hoping you can please pass on to the powers that are responsible for the 'submit an email' link page above, that they need to add the missing motherboard models. This is because not everyone wants to (or can easily) get in touch by phone and selecting the wrong model from the drop down lists because some of the flagship and newer models are missing, is less than desirable.

Thanks for your understanding and I hope something can be done to address this.

• 7. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
                      Marcin_MWM

At beginning I should clarify some thins. We are in Poland. And the board is dead - I do have both technical expiriance and education. Personally I'm a computer technician for 10 years now.

"I will like to inform you that your motherboard does not have live  support, this is why you cant submit an e-mail, but you are able to  contact the warranty department directly at 916-377-7000 or the chat  warranty support using the following web site:

http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm "

Thank you for the advice but as I wrote before, I tried live chat several times and always no agents available - now I know why. It would be easier if a information about working hours of the live chat could be found somewhere, I'm filling the form like an idiot time and time again only to see the message - no agents available - try again later... No wonder... all of them are sleeping...

"I'd get in touch with you local consumer rights organisation in the country where you live and see what options you have."

None... First of all, most of the customer rights apply to customers - and in in our law a customer is a private person not a company - so such organization won't help me - representing a company.

Secondly - according to our law all warranty rights (even private customers) end after two years - any additional warranty rights arise from an warranty agreement between our company and Intel, not the reseller, which sold the product. The problem is the contact with Intel - most of the time such claims were resolved through the distribution channel - reseller - distributor and so on. But the reseller refused to do so this time. And he doesn't have to do that, we have no agreement with him to do that...

"You could also try contacting the Intel support for a nearby country"

Right... Which is non existent.. There are two Intel offices here in Poland. One is only working with marketing, and phones on second never answer. Also the marketing branch does not have reliable information about whats where in our country - they give phone numbers that do not exist or never answer. I've been trying to reach someone that can help me for over a month now with no luck.

• 8. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
                        Flying_Kiwi

Sorry that Victor gave the US phone no Marcin_MWM - I had a feeling you weren't in America. This morning I opened up a chat session with Intel (which turned out to routed to their APAC chat centre) and one of the staff there kindly said he'd internally contact someone who deals with warranty issues for Poland customers and ask them to pm you so standby to hear from them that way within a few days - the best I could do from here I'm afraid.....

• 9. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
                          Marcin_MWM

Thank you. I hope

The weird thing is that one reasons that we chose Intel both for boards and cpu is that I always heard good opinions about how fast and reliable Intel's service is.

We always take steps to buy best available hardware for our needs, out of 25 total computers 10 are pure Intel based. And already 3 dead Intel boards DP35DP in 2'nd year of use, DG45ID in 3'rd year of use, and an S5000XVN shortly after the warranty. A second S5000XVN is dieing. And those are the newest boards that we have. Older 15 are Gigabyte, Asus, and Supermicro which are still working, only 2 have failed (one asus p5b, and one Gigabyte P35-DS3) but after 4-5 years of work. And I had 10 older computer that have been retired because they were getting to slow, but most of them had no problem working till the end.

That gives us a 30% failure ratio in less then 4 years of service for Intel. And a little over 13% for other brands in a longer service span (most of those boars are 4 years and older) . Doesn't look to bright.

• 10. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
                            Flying_Kiwi

Marcin_MWM wrote:

Thank you. I hope

The weird thing is that one reasons that we chose Intel both for boards and cpu is that I always heard good opinions about how fast and reliable Intel's service is.

Hopefully the communication through the call centre might wake them up to the need to be more responsive and more easily contactable for Polish customers. Let us know if you haven't received a private message from the Polish Intel Warranty folks in '1 or 2 working days' and I'll try again (although the person I reached, I'm sure will do their best).

PS I know what you mean about choosing Intel as 'the best available' - I also worked as a computer tech (although not as much as 10 years - you're a tiger for punishment). Almost all of the 200+ PCs where I worked were Intel motherboard based and I only recall ever needing to replace one of those motherboards due to problems but I suspect that was due to misuse/physical damage. It looks like your mileage may vary as they say, depending which country you live in. My fingers are crossed for you to get a speedy pm!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Intel 3 years warranty - more like a joke
                              Marcin_MWM

I guess I have no luck with the Intel boards - The one I've bought as the replacement for the dead one will be probably the last Intel board I have bought - I don't see a way to realize a three years warranty.

Polish offices of Intel either are not concerned about warranty claims (marketing and management) or newer answer the phone and I have regularly tried for over a month now.

Web support is non existent for non American residents:

- no agents are available on the live chat in reasonable time frame for me (when I start my work it is 10 PM in PST and when I end my work it will be 6 AM, and after that I have better things to do then try to catch an agent and chat about a dead Intel board) - of course there is no information about when the live support is working - you fill a stupid form every time only to know that "no agents are available  - please try later".

- there is also no option to email the support as "email support is no longer provided for this product" - I wonder what product have a valid email support as I already tried several boards - even when one of them was still available for purchase.

Thanks for any help that was provided here, but I guess the board will be only suitable to recycling soon.