2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2012 1:54 PM by rseiler RSS

Intel 510 SSD better with Marvell OR Intel SATA 6Gb/s connector

Daniel1x8x Community Member
Currently Being Moderated
I want to connect a "Intel 510 120GB SSD" with an "ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Z68" board and there are two kinds of 6Gb/s connectors on it.
- 2x P8Z68-V PRO Intel SATA 6.0Gb/s connectors
- 2x P8Z68-V PRO Marvell SATA 6.0Gb/s connectors
In many forums stands following: Deactivate the Marvell connectors and use those from Intel.
But the SSD make use of an Marvell controller, so my question is:
Wich connector has the better performance for the 510 SSD?
Thanks in advance!
  • 1. Re: Intel 510 SSD better with Marvell OR Intel SATA 6Gb/s connector
    vbaderks Community Member

IMHO I don't think that the fact that both endpoints of this SATA connection are from the same vendor (Marvell) makes any significant difference.

Intel claims that the max performance of your Intel 510 120GB SDD is 450MByte/s, so a good performing 6.0Gb/s SATA connection is essential. You should check which type of Marvell SATA your P8Z68 board has and if that is the same controller that the forums describe. A couple of forum post are talking about older Marvell SATA controllers.

The easiest thing if you want to be sure is to perform some benchmarks yourself: the SDD connected to the Intel or to the Marvell port (be sure to install the latest drivers for a good comparison).

• 2. Re: Intel 510 SSD better with Marvell OR Intel SATA 6Gb/s connector
    rseiler Community Member

Sure, I guess try both, but does anyone think the Marvell is going to be faster than the on-die controller?  I highly doubt it.  More importantly, Marvell apparently doesn't support TRIM.

"If you are using a SSD use the native Intel or AMD SATA 3Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s ports, I advise that you do NOT use the Marvell ports for your SSD, they do not support TRIM, they are capped at ~375MB/s and deliver very poor 4K read and write performance compared to the Intel and AMD SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s ports. I also would suggest you not use the Marvell ports for your HDD either. Only the DVD drive if anything. If not just disable it in the UEFI/BIOS to cut 2-3 seconds off your boot. Here is an example of why the Marvell ports are trash."

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds/0_40

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...