13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2015 12:50 PM by Grandaelus

Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG

Maximous

Are there any tricks to getting 8 gigs of ram running on a DP45SG?

Bios is the latest, ver 125.

Ram is 4 sticks of 2gig dimms, 2@Kingston KHX1333C7D3K2/4GX.

Always getting 3 beeps when:

1. All sticks in

2. 2@sticks in just slots 0

3. 2@sticks in slots 1

Time of this report: 1/11/2012, 19:27:18
      System Information report written at: 01/11/12 19:34:18
      System Name:
      [System Summary]
      OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
      Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
      Other OS Description Not Available
      OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
      System Name JIM-PC
      System Manufacturer INTEL
      System Model DP45SG
      System Type x64-based PC
      Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650  @ 3.00GHz, 2997 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
      BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. SGP4510H.86A.0125.2010.0121.1927, 1/21/2010
      Memory: 4096MB RAM
      -Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
          Flying_Kiwi

Have you seen Intels System memory for DP45SG page yet? It, and the page it links with, list several Kingston memory modules that are certified with your board but the numbers are all different to those you are using, I'd suggest you talk with Kingston and see if you can get the modules that you have, swapped for the correct ones. The specs say your board should work with up to 8 GB of RAM but Kingstons own weebpage also lists modules starting with KVR and not the HyperX sort..

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG

The Intel® Desktop Board DP45SG supports the following type of memory: DDR3 1333 MHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, and DDR3 800 MHz with a 1.5V.

Your memory according to the manufacturing specifications runs at 1333MHz with a 1.65V. Therefore, first thing you may want to do is test compatible memory in order to expect positive results.

If using compatible memory does not solve your issue, please feel free to contact the Intel® Technical Support Department for further troubleshooting assistance.  Contact phone numbers can be found at: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
              Maximous

Thanks!

I didn't see the 3rd party link to memory and I'll try the changing the voltage before getting new memeory.

Thanks Again!

• 4. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
                mechbob

Check the specs on that Ram and make sure it says DDR3-1333-10600 and not DDR3-1333-10666 the 10666 will give you problems every time , and once you have the right Ram run it at 1.6 volts .

• 5. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
                  mechbob

The Ram you have is C7 you need C9 . you have the wrong Ram

• 6. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
                    Flying_Kiwi

Maximous wrote:

I didn't see the 3rd party link to memory and I'll try the changing the voltage before getting new memeory.

The third party link I was referring to is Intels 'habit' these days of linking to the Computer Memory Test Labs web page for certain boards (an excellent idea IMO) and the link is the blue  subheading called Third Party Tested Memory under 'Tested Memory'. Here it is directly: http://www.cmtlabs.com/mbSearchResults.asp?sManuf=Intel&sMem=DDR3&sMN=DP45SG&oSubmit=Search

I don't think the voltage itself is necessarily a problem because if you look on the Intel page it refers to 'the option to raise the voltage to support higher performance DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs' but other factors (as alluded to by others here may be - I've not checked).

The memory manufacturers are the experts and best able to advise you. In my experience with big name brands you get impartial advise too - I recall after buying lots of expensive 'to spec' ECC ram for a 'non-Intel' server dual CPU board, I just couldn't get it to run without BSODing every now and again and a quick call to the RAM maker revealed there was a known compatibility issue with the RAM and my model of board and they arranged for a full refund back through the seller - I was impressed! The seller also advised another brand that worked perfectly and was only slightly dearer.

• 7. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
                      mechbob

When I built My computer with the DP45SG , I used 8GB   KVR1333D3N9/2G  4 X 2 = 8 GB  running at 1.6 volts , with a QX9650 CPU and two HD4770 GPUs

• 8. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
                        Maximous

Problems solved!

Thanks Everyone for your Help!

I bought KVR Ram-that worked (buying ram through Amazon and returning isn't free).

Again Thanks.

• 9. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
                          mechbob

Now with that Ram you can turn up the FSB to 350 and the ram will run at 1400 , change the multiplyer on the QX9650 to 10.5 , Bingo you are running at 3.6. Nice and stable , P/S don't forget to raise the ram Volts to 1.6 . Happy Motoring.

• 10. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
                            enorbet2

Greetings

I realize this thread is 2 years old but this DP45SG is brand new in a box and I've had severe problems getting it to recognize ram, having bought 3 different sets now.  I'm posting here for one thing because the Link to the memory lab in the manual takes me to a page that does nothing after I put "Intel" in the first box.

Presently I am tying to use an 8GB pair that came as a set.  It is Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9. It is 10600 not 10666 and is also 1.5v.  Unless I am just missing the same thing over and over again it looks like it should work just fine.  However I continue to get the 3 Beeps from Hell.

I've put this board aside and come back to it several times and I really want to finally make it work.  Can anyone please advise me as to either why this isn't working or how to make it work.  Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Edit: Nevermind I see now that tho it isn't stated in the manual, the Intel website states 2GB is the maximum per stick. I hope this is the end of it. What a pita not to mention wallet.

• 11. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
                              kevin_intel

Hi enorbet2,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with the system but let me help you.

Based on the information you have provided, the memory sticks you have seem that are compatible with the board; however, the memory specifications must comply with the configuration on page 15 of the Technical Product Specification. Here you have the link:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15995/eng/DP45SG_TechProdSpec.pdf

Checking the memory specs webpage http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/value-select-memory-upgrades/corsair-memory-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmv8gx3m2a1333c9.html

did not find what the density of the sticks is.

From our side, we recommend you to update the bios to the latest for your board. It can be downloaded at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18636

Besides the step above, I recommend you contacting the memory manufacture for you to confirm if that memory part number is a Double Sided and it complies with the system requirements for the 8GB.

• 12. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
                                enorbet2

Hello Kevin and thank you for your reply. I actually don't know how I missed it that 2GB sticks were the maximum per slot and the only way to get 8GB is with 4 sticks.  It just didn't pop out for me, though it does seem an important limitation in design.  Boards that are finicky about ram, don't seem to do well, but I intend to see this thing run, partly because of the never used Core 2 Extreme I have in it.

Naturally I have to buy more ram now because I can't possibly update the bios if I can't even get past the 3 Beeps as mentioned above.  Hopefully 3rd time is the charm, even though (and also because) this lower level ram is getting more scarce and definitely more expensive.

• 13. Re: Tricks to getting 8gigs of ram running in a DP45SG
                                  Grandaelus

I realise this is an ancient topic by now, but no one seems to explain it the way even lakers can understand.

Here is what's slipping your mind on crucial information, to make "all" understand:

Every memory/RAM module carries an amount of chips (even simpler: the big black squares).

Max amount of chips on modules seems so far to be 16, 8 on each (2) side(s).

The Intel DP45SG motherboard seems unable to exceed the amount of 128MB on each of these chips.

(p.s. 128MB x 16 = 2GB)

Take a closer look at the links kevin threw at you, you will see not one compatible module from the list carries chips bigger than 128MB.

(Hence his remark on configuration and density.)

128MBx8 doublesided/on both sides is max what you can get.

Sad to say I had to bump my head a couple of times to find this out, luckily I bought the RAM at a local store.

Internet is not cheaper than most local stores these days.

P.s. this is not in any way meant to insult anyone, so ignore the way I wrote if it has even the slightest hint of insult or anything.