1 2 3 4 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 1:55 AM by HASPT

New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146

HASPT

Anyone try this new firmware (0146), any problems? I´m afraid to try because the problems in the past with Intel firmwares.

I have no problems with my DH67BL, should I stay with 0132 or change to 0146?

Thanks and goodbye.

HAS    

• 1. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
          dj.pandemic

I have infinate problems with 0132 so I might give it a go

• 2. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
            Matsunami

I've updated bios to 0146 yesterday and I can't boot - no video just fan working. New DH67CF worked only few hours :/

• 3. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
              HASPT

I have a DH67BL board with 0132 bios without no problems, the Intel firmware is strange and is because of this that I´m afraid to update.

• 4. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                whale

Have you finished the Recovery Update part?

• 5. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                  HASPT

Before making this firmware  update  take great care because in the release notes of the firmware says that “ It will no longer be possible to make a downgrade” , so be careful because is a “life decision”,  as for me I think I'll stay for 0132 because I have no problems I

“Warning:
                  BIOS version 0146 includes support for future processors.  Due to structural changes in this BIOS version, once a board has been converted to this version or later, it will no longer be possible to downgrade the BIOS to version 0132 or earlier. Attempting a BIOS downgrade to a previous version may fail – the board BIOS will remain at its current version.”

• 6. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                    Flying_Kiwi

HASPT wrote:

“Warning:
                    BIOS version 0146 includes support for future processors.  Due to structural changes in this BIOS version, once a board has been converted to this version or later, it will no longer be possible to downgrade the BIOS to version 0132 or earlier. Attempting a BIOS downgrade to a previous version may fail – the board BIOS will remain at its current version.”

Well that's an interesting and very significant point you've thrown the spotlight on HASPT. It looks like what happened with 0132 was just the tip of the Iceberg and Intel is planning more of the same. I don't understand why (If you have hardware that's compatible with say the 0125 or 0132 revisions) a downgrade could not be accomplished - it's not as if a newer version is needed for support of the hardware in this case.

I (and many others here) have used BIOS downgrades to save our bacon when problems have arisen - in fact my current PC has the penultimate BIOS revision because I had to revert after experiencing problems with the newest one (and finding it did nothing to address the problem I was hoping it would). Intel Tech support actually told me about revision as an option and I was surprised to hear this was possible because many other board makers don't (or at least didn't) allow it. Intel had an advantage over other providers by allowing BIOS reversion but now that looks like it may be a distant memory....

Maybe someone in the know can defend Intels position on this because it seems ludicrous to me!

• 7. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                      HASPT

I also made a lot of downgrades due to the crap that intel did, but now because we can no longer do that I'll stay here and do not dare to damaged  my motherboard without the downgrade rescue.

• 8. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                        drmadcow

I have exactly the same problem!   I wanted to upgrade to BIOS 0146 on my DH67BL B3 + Core i5 2500K for the updated Intel Storage ROM as my dual SF-2281 sandforce SATA 3 drives were detecting at 3Gb/s instead of 6Gb/s in RAID mode (6Gb/s in AHCI mode).  Everything seemed to go fine in the upgrade process, than the machine powered off.  Since than it only boots to a black screen, I put in the old Linux install which self boots and the system never came up.  It does still turn off when I hold the power button for 5 seconds.

I've tried all the jumper positions, and none for the BIOS jumper and it makes no difference just a black screen.  I've already called my local computer storage to start the RMA process, unless anyone has some advice?

• 9. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                          Matsunami

whale wrote:

Have you finished the Recovery Update part?

This part?

Recovery with Bootable USB Thumb Drive
                          Use this method if the recovery file (*.BIO) is too large to fit on a floppy disk or if the desktop board does
                          not include floppy drive support.
                          1.  Copy the recovery file (*.bio) to a bootable USB thumb drive.
                          2.  Place the thumb drive in a USB port of the target system.

.. etc

No, because after "F7 update" there is no video. I power ON - flash disk's LED blink for a second and nothing after - black screen, no read from USB.

I created bootable drive using FlashBoot with options: MiniOS -> Minimal DOS (freeDOS) and copy bios file on it. Is this good method?

• 10. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                            drmadcow

No love here either.  I've tried several rear USB ports, and let it sit 5+ mins each time with the pin off.  Unplug it, put the jumper back to normal and black screen still.  Cheers.

Daryl

• 11. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                              Gordo6

I upgraded my DH67BL to BIOS 0146.  I did the F7 flash, followed by the recovery method.  The BIOS update was successful both times.  My system had been working nearly flawlessly with 0132, but now with 0146, it is no longer compatible with my DDR3.  I have some low voltage DDR3, 1.25v, and now it won't even POST when the memory voltage is set to 1.25v.  If I move the jumper into Configuration mode, I can get into the BIOS and bump up the voltage.  When I bump it up to 1.5v, it will POST and boot Windows for a few minutes, but then it will either freeze or spontaneously reboot. I had to switch to some completely different DDR3 to have it boot and be stable; so far it has been up for just over 1 day.  And as a sanity check, I moved my 1.25v DDR3 into a different computer and ran some memory stress tests on it, and it is still working fine, but it isn't working at all in my DH67BL now that it is on 0146.

• 12. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                                andreas56

I also tried to upgrade my DH67BL to 0146, using the windows exe (the "Express BIOS Update" method). Everything seemed fine, flashing completed successfully, but now my computer seems completely bricked! Black screen. Fans running, nothing more.

I know that I'm also supposed to make a "Recovery BIOS Update" to the same version - so I've put the .bio file on an usb stick and removed the bios config jumper, but it doesn't work - the usb doesn't seem to be read when I turn the power on. Nothing happens.

So I tried to use a cd with the .bio file instead - no difference. The cd drive flashes for a short while, but screen is still black and nothing happens.

What should I do now? Do I have to return the motherboard to the reseller?

I find it weird that it is possible to break the bios recovery feature with a bios update.

• 13. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                                  whale

Oh... it seems that this major update, which seems to enable support to Ivy Bridge processor, is risky...

If you have a graphic card, maybe you can try to use it instead of the processor graphic.

• 14. Re: New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0146
                                    andreas56

Hooray! I made another test: I set the bios jumper to "configuration mode". Then the computer actually started and showed the bios setup!

I tried "Load BIOS defaults" (don't know if that was actually necessary or not) and restarted with jumper in normal mode. Yes! The computer booted ok.

This means that I haven't yet followed the instructions fully, that is, I haven't done a "recovery update". Maybe I'll try that too, after I've calmed down a bit.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next